Bonding RMC installed between PVC containing service entrance conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWH

Do you have to bond a rigid pipe in this situation, the conduit is from Poco xfmr to service equipment.
250.86 states for other than service entrance conductors and exception#3 for an elbow.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
If an elbow and meets the requirements in 250.80 Ex then no
250.86 does not apply to your app
If its an isolated riser on a pole, then you can bond to the utility neutral if the poco allows, but at the moment I can't find the section for this
Otherwise it requires bonding. Keep in mind service entrace raceways are exposed to the highest levels of fault current.

KWH

The section of RMC is being installed underground due to not being able to maintain proper depth and will be covered in concrete. I wasn't sure with this being service entrance if it made a difference.

kwired

Electron manager
The section of RMC is being installed underground due to not being able to maintain proper depth and will be covered in concrete. I wasn't sure with this being service entrance if it made a difference.
I don't think it can be done that way without finding a way to bond the metal raceway. One idea though is to sleeve a PVC with a larger RMC or any equivalent type of pipe. It is not a raceway in this case and wouldn't need to be bonded. Encasing your PVC in concrete may also be an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.