Parking Lot Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

Had an argument with a local power company employee about wiring for some parking lot lights at a church, he is want to run a duplex underground cable to the lights (2 conductor) lights are 120 volt, I say it has to be a Tri-plex (3 conductor) because the circuits are being feed from with in the building, so the nut and ground must be separate, he says they (the power co.) always runs a duplex cable, but I say that the wiring he does don't have to meet NEC because it is power co owned. you opinion and any code references.

DW98

It sounds like the lights are being supplied by the building electrical system somewhere on the load side of the service disconnect. A separate equipment grounding conductor should be installed. references: NEC2008 250.30 & 250.142(B).

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Had an argument with a local power company employee about wiring for some parking lot lights at a church, he is want to run a duplex underground cable to the lights (2 conductor) lights are 120 volt, I say it has to be a Tri-plex (3 conductor) because the circuits are being feed from with in the building, so the nut and ground must be separate, he says they (the power co.) always runs a duplex cable, but I say that the wiring he does don't have to meet NEC because it is power co owned. you opinion and any code references.

Read 90.2 B

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Read "man leans against light pole to tie shoe and is electrocuted."
Which is in some way "OK" if POCO installs and maintains it, but will not be any protection against the POCO being sued.
In some cases you can have an installation which complies with regulations but is still negligent.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
It sounds like the lights are being supplied by the building electrical system somewhere on the load side of the service disconnect. A separate equipment grounding conductor should be installed. references: NEC2008 250.30 & 250.142(B).

I would agree. If this site is located in an area covered by the NEC (likely), I don't care who installs it, it must comply with the NEC. Just because the POCO may be operating as a contractor on private premises does not exempt them from the NEC, especially when they are supplying lights from the load side of a premises service. I'm no NESC expert, but I feel confidant that the NESC does not cover an installation like this. It's worth noting that some states do not allow a POCO to do premises wiring for hire (ie act as an electrical contractor).

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
And once again I did not read OP closely and see the feed from a building.:slaphead::slaphead::slaphead:

I thought these were POCO lights.
Distilling it all down, I think that the lights are not owned or fed by POCO, but are being installed by POCO, and the installer wants to use the same method he would use for POCO-owned and POCO-powered lights.
If he also puts them on wood poles like he is used to, then it might actually be relatively safe, but still not code compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.