Surface mounting to concrete ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremysterling

Since supporting electrical equipment with a grid ceiling is prohibited, your anchors are adequate.

I'm a big fan of wedge anchors, but overhead I might use Sammy screws or powder actuated anchors instead.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
If you use wedge anchors, drill the holes 1/4 deeper than the length of the anchor. If light ever has to be moved, you can drive the stud a little below surface & caulk it if appearance is a concern.

I have a client who doesn't want a drop in ceiling in his office. I was wondering if I could simply surface mount with wedge anchors or if I need any additional support?

I would check the building codes. About a year ago we had a presentation at our county EC association meeting about standards for anchoring in concrete and they were all changing. The old wedge anchors were no longer going to be acceptable. Everything has to be earthquake rated now. Unfortunately, I'm fairly brain-dead (about stuff I don't deal with often) and don't recall the specifics, but figured it bears looking into.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I would check the building codes. About a year ago we had a presentation at our county EC association meeting about standards for anchoring in concrete and they were all changing. The old wedge anchors were no longer going to be acceptable. Everything has to be earthquake rated now. Unfortunately, I'm fairly brain-dead (about stuff I don't deal with often) and don't recall the specifics, but figured it bears looking into.

If a wedge anchor won't hold, I don't know anything sturdier for a ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.