how much overisize drop-in hole ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerLimited

Similar to 'plus 3/8 inch' hole saw size for drilling holes for conduit connectors, how much needs to be the masonary drill bit size over the size of a steel drop in anchor ?

( for half inch connector, use 7/8" hole saw )
( for 3/8 inch drop in anchor, what size mansonary drill bit ? )

iwire

Staff member
Similar to 'plus 3/8 inch' hole saw size for drilling holes for conduit connectors, how much needs to be the masonary drill bit size over the size of a steel drop in anchor ?

( for half inch connector, use 7/8" hole saw )
( for 3/8 inch drop in anchor, what size mansonary drill bit ? )

I am not sure there is a 'standard' but for the steel drop ins that I use

1/4" Drop in = 3/8" drill bit

3/8" Drop in = 1/2" drill bit.

Beyond that I read the anchor or the box for guidance.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
... I read the anchor or the box for guidance.
Best solution unless you find that your technique or the material of the walls leads to larger, sloppier, holes for a given bit size.
Just make sure that the length of screw, depth of hole, and setting technique also match the instructions, since there are different types of drop-ins.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... there are different types of drop-ins.
Not just types but different manufacturers label them differently. For example, one manufacturer might call a sleeve anchor (aka wedge anchor, etc.) with 3/8" stud that requires a 1/2" diameter hole a 3/8" anchor, while another manufacturer may call the very same basic design a 1/2" anchor.

My perspective is never drill the hole without anchor in hand... :)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Not just types but different manufacturers label them differently. For example, one manufacturer might call a sleeve anchor (aka wedge anchor, etc.) with 3/8" stud that requires a 1/2" diameter hole a 3/8" anchor, while another manufacturer may call the very same basic design a 1/2" anchor.

My perspective is never drill the hole without anchor in hand... :)
I, on the other hand, would set down the anchor first. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.