Minimum wire to ground rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
A large fastened-in-place load is one that needs more than 50% of the circuit rating. That prevents you from putting lights or receptacle on the circuit. I would expect most well pumps to be in the 10 to 20 amp nameplate range at 120V or half that at 240V. But electricians tend to use the 250% rule for motors, so you end up with larger circuits than you need. Once over 20A, you can't use normal receptacles anymore. At 30A, you may only be allowed heavy duty lampholders.

The OP said a 30A circuit. The few wells I've seen had 30A circuits. Seems overkill for the typical size of a pump motor, but I haven't done any wells myself. I don't know if the OP's circuit was truely a single well pump circuit pushing the 250% breaker limit, or if a 20A circuit would work just as well plus allow regular lighting and receptacles. Depends on the size of the well pump. But I would consider a well pump to be fastened-in-place, and even a 10A pump is using up half the circuit so you can't add lights or receptacles to that circuit. A 240V pump and a 120/240V 20A multiwire circuit would probably solve the problem in many cases.

OP just said he was running 30 amps to a well house and never said what would be supplied. A well is kind of assumed. Not very often is a private domestic well over 1 HP and usually is 230 volts. Maybe in places where water is extremely deep a larger pump is necessary. But if this is not a branch circuit then some of this discussion is pointless as a grounding electrode system is needed if this is a service or a feeder.

MrHandy2013

Has anyone addressed this man's original question?

Has anyone addressed this man's original question?

If he is running a 30 amp line to a well house, we should know if it is coming from the main palnel in the home OR a sub panel ina garage to determine grounding requirements. We don't know any of that.
#10 is the required conductor for a 30 amp circuit. If he places a ground rod at the well house, he would be completely in code to run a #10 wire from the switch box ( here I am assuming that is where the line will terminate) to an 8' copper clad grounding rod. The 200 amp service here where I am in NY requires 4/0 feeders and #4 ground wires to TWO 8' 5/8 copper clad rods separated by a maximum of 10 feet. So a 30 amp line would certainly be up to "code" if connect as I recommended.:?

kwired

Electron manager
If he is running a 30 amp line to a well house, we should know if it is coming from the main palnel in the home OR a sub panel ina garage to determine grounding requirements. We don't know any of that.
#10 is the required conductor for a 30 amp circuit. If he places a ground rod at the well house, he would be completely in code to run a #10 wire from the switch box ( here I am assuming that is where the line will terminate) to an 8' copper clad grounding rod. The 200 amp service here where I am in NY requires 4/0 feeders and #4 ground wires to TWO 8' 5/8 copper clad rods separated by a maximum of 10 feet. So a 30 amp line would certainly be up to "code" if connect as I recommended.:?

Why should it make any difference if it is supplied by the main panel in the home or a panel in the garage>

Either way it is a branch circuit or a feeder and the well house end will be installed the same no matter which of those two were the source. This circuit should have an equipment grounding conductor and if the load requires it, a separate grounded circuit conductor especially for any new installation done after 2008 NEC became the standard.

jumper

1. I have never heard of a maximum spacing between the rods.

2. #10 may or may not be required, since this may only be a motor load.

3. # 10 is not allowed for a GEC for a GES.

Status
Not open for further replies.