residential electrical service

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am installing a 600 amp service on a new house. i will be mounting a ct cabinet. the house will have a 150kw generator with an automatic switch. my question is when i exit the ct cabinet can i go directly into the automatic swith then to my subpanels or will i have to go into maby a disconnect first then to the transfer swith before hitting the subpanels. TY

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If your TS is "Service Rated" you can go directly to it (It will have a service disconnect), if not, you will need OCP ahead of it.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
i am installing a 600 amp service on a new house. i will be mounting a ct cabinet. the house will have a 150kw generator with an automatic switch. my question is when i exit the ct cabinet can i go directly into the automatic swith then to my subpanels or will i have to go into maby a disconnect first then to the transfer swith before hitting the subpanels. TY
As augie said. I might add that you are going to need a distribution panel to feed your various (200 amp I'm guessing) subpanels from the 600 amp ATS. It may be desirable to use 3 service rated ATS rated at 200 amp. Then you could skip the distro panel. Also, I think you will find that 3, 200 amp resi grade service rated ATS will cost less than 1, 600 amp service rated ATS.

kwired

Electron manager
I realize this is probably a pretty nice home, but does it really need 150kVA stanby generator?

If that is what the owner wants after being presented other options, then I guess I wouldn't deny them their wishes, but in many cases they can get along just fine with a unit sized to operate only loads they feel absolutely necessary to have when the utility fails.

mgookin

It's not uncommon for it to take weeks or months to restore power after a large scale disaster like a cat 4-5 hurricane. Having A/C & hot water are priceless and I say that from experience. You're also your neighbor's best friends for the duration.

kbsparky

150 kW would supply a full continuous 600 Amp output single phase @240 Volts.

Overkill, IMO. Highly unlikely that service would be loaded at 100% capacity at any time.

But it ain't my money being spent here .... :blink:

kwired

Electron manager
It's not uncommon for it to take weeks or months to restore power after a large scale disaster like a cat 4-5 hurricane. Having A/C & hot water are priceless and I say that from experience. You're also your neighbor's best friends for the duration.
Understood very well as I have been without power for a couple weeks before. You can make an awful lot of hot water and cool a pretty big space with 150 KVA. Even if I was able to afford the house in the OP, I am not the kind of person that would need 150 KVA standby power. I would have no problem not running pool pumps/heaters, spa's, heating/cooling for the entire house, multiple water heaters, etc.

Heating/cooling a limited area, and enough water/hot water for basic needs in at least one area would be sufficient for me.

Now unless you have a family of say 12 or more, in most cases a 10KVA generator can probably get you what is needed. Some of what can be powered by that is truly a luxury, we have become spoiled by technology. How did our ancestors ever survive before there was electric power?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
But with an ATS, he needs to be able to supply the full calculated load unless he chooses to not power some panels or installs automatic load shedding. Usually, people want to be able to power everything, but are willing to manually load shed.

Don't know what the calculated load is, but am assuming it is over 400A. Don't know what is cheaper -- a smaller generator with some load shed controls, or just an overkill generator with no load shedding. I hope he lives next to a fuel station.

kwired

Electron manager
But with an ATS, he needs to be able to supply the full calculated load unless he chooses to not power some panels or installs automatic load shedding. Usually, people want to be able to power everything, but are willing to manually load shed.

Don't know what the calculated load is, but am assuming it is over 400A. Don't know what is cheaper -- a smaller generator with some load shed controls, or just an overkill generator with no load shedding. I hope he lives next to a fuel station.
He needs to supply the full calculated load connected to the ATS, not necessarily the entire load of the house. If a customer has swimming pool, multiple baths with multiple water heaters, multiple heating and cooling systems in different "zones" and wants to run everything, then I will not stop them from spending their money, but if they want to face some reality and maybe not spend quite so much we can make a standby system that costs less and still meets some basic needs.

this guy is not worried about the costs. his home is 12,900 sq.ft heated and cooled. he is also going to have an olympic size indoor pool that requires 200 amps. he also has 2 elevators that require 30 amps, 2 steam showers that each require 60 amps and that is in addition to 3 electric dryers, 2 ovens and 8 A/c units. thats not to mention 350 recess lights and multiple chandiliers. also has a tennis court with lighting. hope 600 amps is enough. he wants to be able to not miss a beat if he has a PO. thus the 150kw gen.

PetrosA

this guy is not worried about the costs. his home is 12,900 sq.ft heated and cooled. he is also going to have an olympic size indoor pool that requires 200 amps. he also has 2 elevators that require 30 amps, 2 steam showers that each require 60 amps and that is in addition to 3 electric dryers, 2 ovens and 8 A/c units. thats not to mention 350 recess lights and multiple chandiliers. also has a tennis court with lighting. hope 600 amps is enough. he wants to be able to not miss a beat if he has a PO. thus the 150kw gen.

When Armageddon hits, we'll know where to look for the fuel depot ;)

kwired

Electron manager

Then by all means go with the 600 amp ATS, even if three 200 amp ATS would cost less:happyyes:

mgookin

The question is whether he should put in a disconnect between the generator & ATS.

I'd put one in for ease of service of generator. Sure would make me feel safer knowing there's not going to be any backfeed.

kwired

Electron manager
The question is whether he should put in a disconnect between the generator & ATS.

I'd put one in for ease of service of generator. Sure would make me feel safer knowing there's not going to be any backfeed.
How do you get that out of the OP?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ricky1108

Status
Not open for further replies.