Hair Salon GFI or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squaredan

Hi, We are installing 3 dedicated receptacles, each one is for a hair cutting station in a hair salon.My question is do these receptacles have to be GFI's? Not sure why we installed GFI's there are no sinks in the room where the hair cutting stations are located. I know it doesnot hurt to install them but just wanted by a Code stand point(2008 code). I read 210.8, nothing seems to apply..If I am reading 422.41 correctly that would only apply if they were working near a sink. Most hair dyers today have GFI's on the plug..
thanks for reading..

Dan

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Hi, We are installing 3 dedicated receptacles, each one is for a hair cutting station in a hair salon.My question is do these receptacles have to be GFI's? Not sure why we installed GFI's there are no sinks in the room where the hair cutting stations are located. I know it doesnot hurt to install them but just wanted by a Code stand point(2008 code). I read 210.8, nothing seems to apply..If I am reading 422.41 correctly that would only apply if they were working near a sink. Most hair dyers today have GFI's on the plug..
thanks for reading..

Dan

Not required

hurk27

Hey ceb58, there are no drawings, no inspections..

I know Pennsylvania is one of those states that don't have many building departments or license requirement as was county areas in Indiana many years ago, and in these cases I always use common sense and liability be my guide to cover myself, I agree that they are not required but it is very common for hair dressers to have a boll of water to keep the hair wet as they trim, as well as many commercial clippers are all metal and have an EGC in the cord or double insulated which would be fairly safe, so I would use my best judgment in a case like this and think about what could happen if something was to go wrong and if it could be used against me if it did wind up in court.

Since it is not a code requirement I would offer installing GFCI's to the owners and document their choice on the paperwork but leave it up to them as it is their money that's being spent, they may wish to have the extra protection for their customers?

Explain to them that even though the code doesn't require GFCI's because there is no sink, but that if they will be using water in the area they it might be a good choice to have them as an added protection for the little extra cost that it will incur.

kwired

Electron manager
I know Pennsylvania is one of those states that don't have many building departments or license requirement as was county areas in Indiana many years ago, and in these cases I always use common sense and liability be my guide to cover myself, I agree that they are not required but it is very common for hair dressers to have a boll of water to keep the hair wet as they trim, as well as many commercial clippers are all metal and have an EGC in the cord or double insulated which would be fairly safe, so I would use my best judgment in a case like this and think about what could happen if something was to go wrong and if it could be used against me if it did wind up in court.

Since it is not a code requirement I would offer installing GFCI's to the owners and document their choice on the paperwork but leave it up to them as it is their money that's being spent, they may wish to have the extra protection for their customers?

Explain to them that even though the code doesn't require GFCI's because there is no sink, but that if they will be using water in the area they it might be a good choice to have them as an added protection for the little extra cost that it will incur.

But a "bowl":p of water is not likely to be grounded, a sink may be.

ceb58

Hey ceb58, there are no drawings, no inspections..
Then there is no requirement BUT I agree with Wayne in post #6. They are a cheap CYA. If something happened it would look better on you to say you did what you could by installing them than saying well it wasn't required.

hurk27

But a "bowl":p of water is not likely to be grounded, a sink may be.

Yes but having water around electrical devices which might have a compermised ground prong on its cord could spell trouble if it becomes wet and there is a grounded surface close by.;)

By the way most newer plastic/fiberglass sinks with all PVC plumbing are also not grounded but you still have to have a GFCI:p

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Yes but having water around electrical devices which might have a compermised ground prong on its cord could spell trouble if it becomes wet and there is a grounded surface close by.;)

By the way most newer plastic/fiberglass sinks with all PVC plumbing are also not grounded but you still have to have a GFCI:p
Among other things, the water itself can carry current, even if it is in a plastic pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.