Office building genset feeding non-emergency loads from emergency panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPdesign

In an office building circa 1980 with a genset feeding a high and low voltage emergency panel, the panels were originally only feeding emergency loads but are now feeding a server room for one of the tenants (added some time in the building history). There are no electrical prints.

Is this a direct violation (as I think it is) - or does it require additional review to determine the overall load on the panels?

I know it couldn't be installed this way today - but what about this older install?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
In an office building circa 1980 with a genset feeding a high and low voltage emergency panel, the panels were originally only feeding emergency loads but are now feeding a server room for one of the tenants (added some time in the building history). There are no electrical prints.

Is this a direct violation (as I think it is) - or does it require additional review to determine the overall load on the panels?

I know it couldn't be installed this way today - but what about this older install?

Is it an Emergency system as defined in 700.1 or 701.1 and 701.2? Then that is a question for the AHJ.
If it is an optional standby system per 702.2 all you need to worry about is if the generator can handle the load.

MPdesign

Because all of the original design loads were required for life-safety (exit and egress lighting, smoke evac, etc), then I would assume that 702 does not apply.

Is that your interpretation as well (with the given information and no prints).

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Because all of the original design loads were required for life-safety (exit and egress lighting, smoke evac, etc), then I would assume that 702 does not apply.

Is that your interpretation as well (with the given information and no prints).

If it was legally required and classed as emergency or legally required standby by municipal, state, federal or other codes or by any other governmental agency having jurisdiction then it would fall under article 700 or 701 of the NEC.
If not it falls under article 702.
Your description sounds like article 701 may apply here.

"all of the original design loads were required for life-safety (exit and egress lighting, smoke evac, etc)"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.