Overnight Labor Price HArrisburg PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

horrorsix

I just got a small commercial job I bid. I bid my labor around $55hr. The GC just informed me that the job is overnight and he'll pay me more since I wasn't informed. What's the going rate for overnight work? Another $5hr, $10hr?

Thanks
Shawn
Harrisburg PA

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I just got a small commercial job I bid. I bid my labor around $55hr. The GC just informed me that the job is overnight and he'll pay me more since I wasn't informed. What's the going rate for overnight work? Another $5hr, $10hr?

Thanks
Shawn
Harrisburg PA

how much extra do you have to pay your guys when they work nights?

btharmy

That works fine for service but would never fly in my area for contract work.

Employees in your area are not paid time and 1/2 for overtime work? Is that legal? If employees are paid 1 1/2 then the customer gets charged accordingly.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Employees in your area are not paid time and 1/2 for overtime work? Is that legal? If employees are paid 1 1/2 then the customer gets charged accordingly.
Overtime, in the sense of more than the normal number of hours per day or week, is usually covered by state labor laws. A shift premium for a normal number of hours worked at other than normal daytime hours or on holidays is usually a matter for negotiation (or collective bargaining, as the case may be.)

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I don't think Iwire was implying that employees in this case are working overtime. The labor laws don't dictate when you work an 8 hour shift. I think Isee where he is coming from, if the local market will only allow "normal" rates even thogh the job requires odd hours, well, then that's what it takes to be competitive.
That said, there could be other factors if this is covered by some type of job spec or labor agreement.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Overtime, in the sense of more than the normal number of hours per day or week, is usually covered by state labor laws. A shift premium for a normal number of hours worked at other than normal daytime hours or on holidays is usually a matter for negotiation (or collective bargaining, as the case may be.)

a rule of thumb is how most labor unions do it....
not saying it's right, but it's what gets negotiated.
the following, while not universal, is fairly typical.

day shift = 100% jw wage
second shift = 110% jw wage
graveyard = 115% and you get paid 8 for 7 hours work, or
whenever the day shift shows up.

overtime is 1.5x hourly rate for anything in excess of 8 hours per day or shift.
overtime rate continues uninterrupted until you get 8 hours off.

a shift must be 40 hours, to prevent abuse of this, circumventing
legal overtime with "shift" work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.