AC Unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLagaris

Hello, I need to install an AC unit today.

It's a 230 Volt Mini-Split ductless unit, sent from Canada to Minnesota.

The owners had their previous unit stolen, and have a 30 Amp circuit breaker.

This ductless unit is 1.5 Tons, and the 230 volts is all I know about, since it is two parts I'll need to use different wires.

Does anyone know if the Circuit has to be replaced, and what wires I'll need to use?

I was expecting 10/3, and for the internal part I am not sure yet, but if the 1.5 ton unit doesn't use as much power as the previous it might need less amps.

Full info:
It is 18000 BTU
It is a cooling and heating unit.
208-230 Volts
It's a Senville Aura
21 Seer

What I need:
What circuit will I need to use 20A or 30
Do I use 10/3 wire, or 12/2
What wire will I use to wire the inside to the outside?

Thanks!:)

kwired

Electron manager
You have not posted the most critical nameplate information.

1.5 ton unit is a small unit in comparison to what your existing conductor size is, but we also do not know other factors that may increase the conductor size. You said it does have heating - that alone could increase conductor size if it has resistance heating elements.

Sahib

You said it does have heating - that alone could increase conductor size if it has resistance heating elements.

Perhaps it can work on reverse cycle in which case no resistance element needed.

He needs to open the AC unit to see whether there are any heating elements or not.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
One piece of advice.

There will be an "Installation Manual" with this equipment. Read it.
Some of the instruction manuals specifically direct you to use SO(xx) type cord to link the two units together. There has been discussion here about how to deal with that since it appears to be prohibited by NEC for a wall penetration.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Some of the instruction manuals specifically direct you to use SO(xx) type cord to link the two units together. There has been discussion here about how to deal with that since it appears to be prohibited by NEC for a wall penetration.
And yet another good reason for the OP to get assistance from his superiors.

Roger

growler

There will be an "Installation Manual" with this equipment. Read it.

The installation manual will normally state that the installion should be done be a qualified person and follow all national and local codes. They cover their butts pretty well.

growler

And yet another good reason for the OP to get assistance from his superiors.

Roger

We don't know that he is doing this as an employee. It's hard to believe they would send him out on his own to do an install like this ( they would be responsible ).

If he is doing this for a friend or relative and doing it on his own then reading the instructions is a good place to start. At least if he screws up then he can always say that he followed the instrucations. :angel:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
We don't know that he is doing this as an employee. It's hard to believe they would send him out on his own to do an install like this ( they would be responsible ).

If he is doing this for a friend or relative and doing it on his own then reading the instructions is a good place to start. At least if he screws up then he can always say that he followed the instrucations. :angel:
Growler, even though he is an apprentice, if he is doing it on his own it basically equates to being a DIY "how to" question, so with that said, he has gotten good information and I am closing this thread.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.