Upgrading of grounding for a 200 amp service in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm upgrading an existing 200 amp (underground) service that currently has an FPE 200 amp main breaker panel. There is no need to replace the meter enclosure but I will have to upgrade the grounding. I'm not sure if the majority of you across the US have to do this but we here in NJ have to bond across the water meter. The existing ground wire is a bare # 4 (copper) and is properly installed directly to the point the water line enters the residence. I will have to move that so as to be able to bond across the water meter and in doing so will I not have enough ground wire to make the solid span. In your opinion would it be acceptable to use a high-press crimp like this Ilsco AS-4 to extend that ground wire ? I've done this with generator installations and have not had a problem. Just curious to know what kind of inspection crap I'll run into.

http://www.ilsco.com/e2wShoppingCat...k=2100001183:3100012197:3100012379:3100012779

Thanks

iwire

Staff member
The NEC requires bonding across items like the water meter but it can be don with a bonding jumper not the GEC itself.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Bob stated just put two more clamps on with a small piece of #4 cu or #2 aluminum.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Thanks. I was under the impression it had to be one continuous ground wire. That's why I asked the question.

PS. Don't know what happened to the link. It worked yesterday when I posted it.

Let's try this one :

http://www.ilsco.com/e2wShoppingCat...9&parentLink=2100001183:3100012197:3100012379

The original link worked too. But if you have never visited Ilsco before it makes you choose Ilsco, Utilco or Ilsco Canada. Once you have made the choice, it will not take you to the link you want, but if you allow cookies in your browser you can then paste the original link in again (or click it again in the post) and go directly to the right page.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Thanks. I was under the impression it had to be one continuous ground wire. That's why I asked the question.

PS. Don't know what happened to the link. It worked yesterday when I posted it.

Let's try this one :

http://www.ilsco.com/e2wShoppingCat...9&parentLink=2100001183:3100012197:3100012379

I had a similar situation replacing the service in my last home (in NJ). Had to add a second ground rod, and the AHJ said "You know, the ground wire's supposed to be continuous". It was either my roguish charm or the pathetic look on my face, but he let it slide. YMMV.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I had a similar situation replacing the service in my last home (in NJ). Had to add a second ground rod, and the AHJ said "You know, the ground wire's supposed to be continuous". It was either my roguish charm or the pathetic look on my face, but he let it slide. YMMV.
Well, it's good thing it's water under the bridge because he was wrong. You can install 2 rods and run individual conductors from each rod and land them both on the ground bar in the MB panel. I was more concerned that I had a solid conductor across the water meter. In fact, I had one inspector tell me that I had to land the start of the ground wire (the part closest to where you first stripped the insulation off) at the point where the water pipe enters the building and jump the tail end to the pipe directly on the opposite side of the water meter. You can't make this stuff up.

I'm never concerned with the possibility of asking a stupid question on this forum because some of the stupid things inspectors make you do is mind boggling.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You can install 2 rods and run individual conductors from each rod and land them both on the ground bar in the MB panel.

But can you only add a wire from the existing ground rod to the new one which is neither an extension of the original wire nor an irreversible splice to it?

kwired

Electron manager
But can you only add a wire from the existing ground rod to the new one which is neither an extension of the original wire nor an irreversible splice to it?

That depends on if you call the added conductor a bonding jumper or a GEC. I say it is a bonding jumper and the GEC ends at the first rod.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That's not correct. You can add a new rod, run a wire from it and land it on the ground bar in the breaker panel along with the existing one. Granted, most of the time on a new install or an upgrade we install a continuous run but there are occasions where you don't have a choice but to run 2 separate wire runs. Perfectly acceptable.

kwired

Electron manager
That's not correct. You can add a new rod, run a wire from it and land it on the ground bar in the breaker panel along with the existing one. Granted, most of the time on a new install or an upgrade we install a continuous run but there are occasions where you don't have a choice but to run 2 separate wire runs. Perfectly acceptable.

You can run "bonding jumpers" between electrodes. The Grounding Electrode Conductor is what needs to be continuous.

If you have 2 rods with a separate conductor to each rod, and no other electrodes isn't only one of them the grounding electrode and the other one a supplemental electrode?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You can run "bonding jumpers" between electrodes. The Grounding Electrode Conductor is what needs to be continuous.

If you have 2 rods with a separate conductor to each rod, and no other electrodes isn't only one of them the grounding electrode and the other one a supplemental electrode?
OK. I'll buy that.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I agree and you could also split bolt a bonding jumper to the GEC and run that bonding jumper to another electrode.

Status
Not open for further replies.