Circuit Breaker Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
If it is a plug on breaker, you can't feed the lug side unless you have a hold down device. You don't want that thing coming unplugged with exposed live jaws is the main reason I believe. If the breaker has lugs on both ends it doesn't matter unless it is marked line and load. This is not that likely with typical thermal magnetic breakers, but could be the case with an electronic trip breaker.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
I have a 3R 100 Amp Square D Enclosure(just a regular breaker, not a gfci or afci). Does it make a difference which way I run power in & out of the breaker??

As staed above....from talking to many manufacturers, (Square D, Siemens, GE, etc.) if a breaker is not labeled Line and Load, it can be reverse fed.

kwired

Electron manager
Does it have lugs on both ends or is it a plug on breaker?

Like I said before a plug on breaker can be "back fed" but must have a retaining device installed.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
MCCB that have interchangeable trip units cannot be reverse fed. They will be labeled line and load. Most non-interchangeable MCCB are UL listed to be able to be reverse fed and do not have the line/load labels.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Does it have lugs on both ends or is it a plug on breaker?

Like I said before a plug on breaker can be "back fed" but must have a retaining device installed.
If it is being backfed by a UL listed utility interactive inverter, a tie down is not required. 705.12(D)(6)

These inverters are designed to UL1741 which requires them to shut down when the grid connection is lost; if a breaker fed by such an inverter pops out, the inverter shuts down and the connection to the breaker is de energized.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.