Protection of tap conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

csoc64

View attachment 8893
A Supply Side connection of a PV system is a connection made between the Utility revenue meter and the existing load center (or in some cases a fused safety switch). The PV current does not flow through the existing load center. There are many items to consider such as if there is a suitable place to make the connection within the listing restraints of the service entrance. If you do not know what this requires, get help from someone with experience.

The attached is a simple diagram by John Wiles.
Site would not let me get attachment. Any other way to access it?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
...I have been told, by those more knowledgeable than myself, that without the new service disco, the POCO would consider it a 260A service with the addition of the PV source.

Maybe the POCO in question needs some educating. Or maybe those who have told you this are actually not that knowledgeable. It's impossible for the service to transmit 260A in either direction in the setup you've described.

705.12(A) allows PV connected in a supply-side connection to be as high as the rating of the service. This implies that no increase in the rating of the service is necessary.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The set-up your describing will still have 60amp and 200amp feeding the bus of the 200amp panel. This does not comply with the 120% rule.

Just connect the solar as a supply side connection.

I assumed, albeit perhaps incorrectly, that the existing service disconnecting means and OCPD would be left in place, in which case there's no violation of the 120% rule.

I agree with your last sentence.

PWDickerson

Occupation
Solar Contractor
Another option is to downsize the main breaker to 175A (assuming a load calc indicates this is appropriate) and install a load side connection.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IN a short answer to your OP, I know of no Code section that would require RMC unless it was needed due to the possibility of severe physical damage.

ocoee

option

option

Often I will down size the main OCPD to gain more back feed. A 200 amp buss with a 200 amp breaker allows 40 amps of PV back feed
a 200 amp buss with a 175 amp OCPD allows for 65 amps of back feed. Often we do this to avoid confusion from the AHJ or if there is no room for extra disconnects.

Status
Not open for further replies.