ASCO 300 ATS Does Not Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRSlayer

Hey guys, hopefully someone can help me with this issue. I have an ASCO series 300 ATS 3 phase 120/208 400 Amps. When utility power fails it sends the signal to start the generator as it should, but it does not transfers to emergency. I have check voltage line to line and to neutral and hertz and everything seems correct. Even the emergency power available light at the membrane is lit. I manually transfer to emergency and when utility returns it will retransfer and shut down the unit properly. I removed the control board and installed on another ATS same voltage and amps, and it works perfectly. Just in case I also replaced the rectifier bridge with no results. The coil seems to be working since it retransfers. What am I missing?? I will appreciate any advise.

Kind regards

eHunter

Hey guys, hopefully someone can help me with this issue. I have an ASCO series 300 ATS 3 phase 120/208 400 Amps. When utility power fails it sends the signal to start the generator as it should, but it does not transfers to emergency. I have check voltage line to line and to neutral and hertz and everything seems correct. Even the emergency power available light at the membrane is lit. I manually transfer to emergency and when utility returns it will retransfer and shut down the unit properly. I removed the control board and installed on another ATS same voltage and amps, and it works perfectly. Just in case I also replaced the rectifier bridge with no results. The coil seems to be working since it retransfers. What am I missing?? I will appreciate any advise.

Kind regards

Is this a new install or a new ATS?
Start with checking the programming carefully.
With the system de-energized check the transfer coil(s) and the continuity of the coil cabling.

templdl

Kind regards

Since it's an ASCO I assume that you have already talked to them. What did they advise?

PRSlayer

This ATS has been in place for 5-6 years. I did check the coil wiring for continuity, tested ok. I talk to a ASCO rep but they pretty much wanted to send a tech to check the unit.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Is this a new install or a new ATS?
Start with checking the programming carefully.
With the system de-energized check the transfer coil(s) and the continuity of the coil cabling.

Do you have any knobdics around there?
They can be a real problem.......

templdl

This ATS has been in place for 5-6 years. I did check the coil wiring for continuity, tested ok. I talk to a ASCO rep but they pretty much wanted to send a tech to check the unit.

Typical answer from ASCO rep who doesn't have clue as to how to address your question his reply was to send out a tech. My reply to him would have been who was going to pay.'You may have also asked to talk to someone else who is more knowledgeable.
Sometime I reply that I may have made the wrong choice is a transfer switch and should have made a better choice.

Last edited:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Have you checked the micro switches and the coils? To me something sounds either loose or not connected.

How was this problem noticed? If the generator is tested without transfer and there hasnt been a power outage in those 5-6 years the issue may have been there since day one.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Have you checked the micro switches and the coils? To me something sounds either loose or not connected.

How was this problem noticed? If the generator is tested without transfer and there hasnt been a power outage in those 5-6 years the issue may have been there since day one.

No power outage in PR in 5-6 years?? You're dreaming!

PRSlayer

The unit is tested monthly opening the building MCB therefore creating a power failure. This issue came up in the last month or so. The coil was check, but since the ATS retransfers automaticaly I'm leaning that the coils is working normaly.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech

Kind regards

If it transfers when you manually transfer it, do you mean by holding the "transfer switch test" button for 15 seconds? If so, that eliminates the coil as the problem. If you are just using the handle, that doesn't tell you much. There is an "inhibit transfer to emergency" input for remote control. Are there any wires connected to the "inputs contacts" (terminals 10 & 11)? No, I don't have a photographic memory...I'm looking at the manual. We have many of these. Some are the Dip Switch style, and others are the electronic display style. The fact that it works on another switch tells me you have a connection problem with the ribbon cable or a voltage input problem causing the switch to not recognize the emergency source. If you don't have a manual, I'm sure you can find one online.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Does it have an inphase monitor? Maybe its waiting for the two voltages to synch.

Also, how about Phase rotation? Are the generator and utility phase rotation the same? Maybe someone just recently turned that feature on?

Just adding to the list of things to check.

You can find info. on the 300 ATS here:

http://www.emersonnetworkpower.com/...OperatorsManualsandAccessoryInstructions.aspx

Look at page 3-2 of the maunal for some troubleshooting tips for not transfering to emergency.

Last edited:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
The unit is tested monthly opening the building MCB therefore creating a power failure. This issue came up in the last month or so. The coil was check, but since the ATS retransfers automaticaly I'm leaning that the coils is working normaly.

I'm leaning towards, even though you are seeing emergency source available LED, the switch isn't. could be a sense lead loose or sense xfmr. gone bad. If it has been working and now its not. Is there a slide switch that may have been moved? Some switches have a 1 phase, 3 phase switch.
been awhile since I have messed with one so who knows.
But I do think the switch is not seeing the voltage or HZ in tolerance.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I'm leaning towards, even though you are seeing emergency source available LED, the switch isn't. could be a sense lead loose or sense xfmr. gone bad. If it has been working and now its not. Is there a slide switch that may have been moved? Some switches have a 1 phase, 3 phase switch.
been awhile since I have messed with one so who knows.
But I do think the switch is not seeing the voltage or HZ in tolerance.

Does any manufacturer use a double coil? Apply power to transfer in either direction and one coil has failed?

PRSlayer

If I press the "transfer test switch" for 15 seconds or secure power to the building it will start the generator but it won't transfer to emergency I then manually with the handle transfer to emergency. Voltage, rotation and hertz are verified (ATS displays Emergency Source Available) This membrana is connected to the Control Board so the ATS is seeing correct voltage. When power is restored to the building, it will display both sources accepted, ATS connected to emergency, 5 minutes later as per TDEN potentiometer it will retransfer to normal soruce (utility) automatically (without the use of the handle) and a couple of minutes later generator is shut down.

I have verified the dip switch settings several times and since the control board works on another ATS it pretty much removes that part from the problem.

I was given some troubleshooting instructions by a member here, so I will post results as soon as I can.

Appreciate everyone for their input.

Status
Not open for further replies.