Belled End PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

When installing Schedule 40 or 80 what determines whether the electrician will get pipe with belled ends or use couplings? Thanks.

mstrlucky74

Usually communications during the ordering process.
Specifically ask for preformed belled ends, they have a specific part/SKU number for belled end PVC.

Sorry I was not clear. What I meant is why what is used more often and why? Thanks.

eHunter

I have never seen electrical PVC without bells, I guess I would have to order it but why would I? :blink:

Our supply houses will usually send straight PVC without belled end unless you specify or the sales rep knows better than to send unbelled PVC.
I believe their incentive is to sell the unbelled conduit is the added sale of the must have associated couplings.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Our supply houses will usually send straight PVC without belled end unless you specify or the sales rep knows better than to send unbelled PVC.
I believe their incentive is to sell the unbelled conduit is the added sale of the must have associated couplings.

Your suppliers must be ordering custom pipe then. I have not run across any manufacture of electrical PVC that a bell end was not part of the standard spec. Manufactured bends can be ordered with bells or straight.

eHunter

Your suppliers must be ordering custom pipe then. I have not run across any manufacture of electrical PVC that a bell end was not part of the standard spec. Manufactured bends can be ordered with bells or straight.

Supply Houses/Distributors in Atlanta and the DFW area are Graybar, DH, & City will send straight PVC, the brands are Carlon, Kraloy & Cantex.

wbsteve

I've never seen PVC without bell ends. I'm thinking no bell ends might make sense in a really long run. A 4" PVC has something like a 5 or 6" bell end. Idk

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Here, unless you specify, you get what ever the supply house has in stock. Sometimes it will be bell ends and other times it will come with a factory installed coupling, although the coupling is becoming much les common.

liquidtite

I. Think the manufactures should make couplings alot deeper than they Do. The beel end goes in like two inches further than a coupling does.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
In my opinion, a 10' stick of pvc with no bell end is called plumbing pipe.
Plumbing PVC can have bell ends too.

Did you ever notice that a stick of PVC measures ten feet including the bell. That means if you glue up a bunch of PVC and then go back and count the sticks to get a length for you wire you end up with a lot of extra wire on one end of your run?

I don't think plumbers ever run into such a problem.

220/221

Around here anyway, belled ends became standard in the mid 70's.

Yes, I am old enough to remember that far back.

I'm still waiting for belled ends on EMT :happyyes:

BAHTAH

PVC with coupling or endbell

PVC with coupling or endbell

When installing Schedule 40 or 80 what determines whether the electrician will get pipe with belled ends or use couplings? Thanks.

PVC conduit usually comes with what is called an Long End Bell that is coupling formed at the end of the stick. The term End bell typically refers to an actual end-bell that is used on pvc that is
installed in underground duct systems. The End Bell is used to form a smooth exit from the conduit for cable that is racked in a vault where the pvc is in the concrete vault wall. If your looking for couplings on your pvc then you need to see what your supplier is stocking. Don't see much pvc without a formed coupling (long end bell) anymore. It is more cost effective as a time saver.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I have rarely seen PVC in recent years without bell ends. I see 45's and 90's with or without them, in about equal numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.