relocation of service question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stew

Trying to get some ideas as to how others may approach this. Existing 200 outdoor service that needs to be relocated to a new wall in the new garage addition. Currently being fed from a 200 3/r. 1/0 copper from one 100 amp breaker to a panel in the basement located about 20 ft down the current carport and then down to a Bulldog panel. All run in the carport to a J box . all done in rigid 1 1/4 pipe!. Then another /1/4 rigid out of the current service panel down the outer wall about 2 ft and then thru an LB to the furnace and range downstairs again. # 2 cu..

Need to restrike the service at the new outer wall of the new garage enclosure about 20 ft away. Thinking of using an all in one meter main with feed thru lugs to a 150 or 175 disco for the main feeders to the Bulldog panel which I will replace with a 20/40.. Then using a 100 amp breaker in the all in one for the furnace and a 50 for the range. That would require a single 1 1/4 for the refeed to the exisiting J box of the 1/0 cu across the garage in some fashion. Then another 1 1/4 across for the other 100 amp feeder and circuit for the range to a new J box to tie those in to exisiting. Tyring to come up with the least expensive way and this seems like it may be the way to go?
What say ye?

having trouble visualization the whole layout, but who not come down from the strike to a meter then out the back to hit a main breaker panel and rework the two pipes into that? Put the 1/0 feeder on a 125 and the #2 on a 100?

stew

largest breaker you can install in a 200 amp panel is 100. I want something larger than that to feed the bulldog replacement panel. I may just use a mast/meter base/small 200 indoor panel and an adjacent 150 amp disco for the larger of the 2 feeders.Then just extend the piping and pick up the feeders etc on the wall where they reside now using large j boxes asnd splices.

largest breaker you can install in a 200 amp panel is 100. I want something larger than that to feed the bulldog replacement panel. I may just use a mast/meter base/small 200 indoor panel and an adjacent 150 amp disco for the larger of the 2 feeders.Then just extend the piping and pick up the feeders etc on the wall where they reside now using large j boxes asnd splices.

That is not true at all. I generally consider 125 the largest breaker that is practical. Evan big orange has homeline 125's, around $60 I think. You can get a 150 but the cost is so much I would go another route if I absolutely needed a 150 for some reason. I cant believe a 125 wouldn't be big enough. Sounds like the range would not be in it.....

100 is generally the larbest stab that can be used. mzybe I am all wet on this?

I mostly use square D so I can only accurately speak of their line, but for their homeline line, besides a 125, they also have a 150, 175 and 200. The 150 and above take up four spaces however. Looks like you will spend around $300 for a 150. Saw a 2125 at big orange yesterday for $64.

If I needed a sub bigger than a 125 maybe I would consider a panel with feed-thru lugs. Problem with that is, depending on what code cycle you are on, even 250 ser couldnt be used for the feeder off a 200 amp feed thru so you would be looking at piping it. You could do that with 2" pvc and XHHW alum so it wouldnt cost that much but could be a real pain of course depending on where it needs to go and what it needs to get around/thru...

iwire

Staff member
You still have to read the panel label to see what each bus stab is rated for.

Some of the larger breakers use four circuit positions to deal with tat.

stew

thats why I love this forum. I can always find someone smarter than me! lol. I shall check all the various standard panels to see which accepts a 125 or 150 . Dont care about how many spaces it takes as it will be a feeder to the panel downstairs anyway. Anyone want some bulldog breakers? lol

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
You still have to read the panel label to see what each bus stab is rated for.

Some of the larger breakers use four circuit positions to deal with tat.

Exactly.
They will sell you any size breaker you want, but you need to see what the panels instructions say is the largest breaker per stab allowed.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
And if it doesn't say anything, you have the bending space rules as guidance. Many residential panels won't let you go over 125A because of bending space. And even then you may have to do it with copper to comply.

Status
Not open for further replies.