Portable power type W cable into a disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZElectrical

I have a situation where a heat treatment machine requiring a 125A, 480V 3-phase supply is being installed. The machine will be moved around frequently to accommodate other equipment in the area (a weld shop), so the thought is to run type W flexible power cable from a wall mounted disconnect to the machine, a distance of not more than 15 feet. The source will be a nearby panelboard with space for a 125A3P breaker. The circuit from the panel to the disconnect will be regular THHN conductors in GRC. The flexible cable will be protected in accordance with 400.13 and 240.5.

The one area causing me some concern is whether or not type W cable, or any flex cable for that matter, is suitable for termination to a permanently installed disconnect. For those who may wonder, I had considered the installation of a 125A 480V receptacle, but the models I've found have been rated for European voltages. Thanks for any input.

iwire

Staff member
You can't hardwire portable cord into a disconnect for this application anyway.

Please note 400.7(B)

400.7 Uses Permitted.

(A) Uses. Flexible cords and cables shall be used only for the following:

(1) Pendants

(2) Wiring of luminaires

(3) Connection of portable luminaires, portable and mo-bile signs, or appliances

(4) Elevator cables

(5) Wiring of cranes and hoists

(6) Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate fre-quent interchange

(7) Prevention of the transmission of noise or vibration

(8) Appliances where the fastening means and mechani-cal connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection

(9) Connection of moving parts

(10) Where specifically permitted elsewhere in this Code

(B) Attachment Plugs. Where used as permitted in 400.7(A)(3), (A)(6), and (A)(8), each flexible cord shall be equipped with an attachment plug and shall be energized from a receptacle outlet.

Exception: As permitted in 368.56.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Wow, I wonder what they get for a 600 amp 1000 volt one.

I know the ones we use, 60 amp 208 are pretty pricy.
Yes, they are expensive, but I like the "decontactor" series where they are listed as both branch circuit and motor disconnects.
You can also get them with control wire connections as well as the power wire connections and have "first break" for the control wires for motors that are powered from a VFD.

Status
Not open for further replies.