something i never saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman1

i up graded a panel for my neighbor when i opened the panel door there were all two pole breakers used not a single pole in whole panel. the circuits were not 3wire ciruits where the netural is shared .the house was about 25 years old.what the electrican did was one two pole breaker took careof the living room and dining room receps and lites another two pole took care of the bed rooms and baths and one two pole for the kitchen.each circuit had its own netural .was this code compliant then i doubt it. sight any articles which may apply thanks

Sahib

In good old days, 120V, 2 wire service was permitted in residences. Now only 120V/240V 3 wire service.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If you are saying that for each two-pole breaker, one of the poles and one neutral served a set of loads, and the other pole and its own neutral served a different set of loads, then I see no code issue with that installation. It would be allowed even today. But it would be a poor design practice. In order to work on one outlet you will have to turn off a number of unrelated outlets.

However, I am also reading that there may be dining room lights and receptacles on the same circuit, or that a bathroom receptacle might be on the same circuit as a bedroom outlet. That sort of thing is not allowed. Do you know if the small appliance circuit and bathroom receptacle circuit rules for "no other outlets" were violated?

Volta

However, I am also reading that there may be dining room lights and receptacles on the same circuit, or that a bathroom receptacle might be on the same circuit as a bedroom outlet. That sort of thing is not allowed. Do you know if the small appliance circuit and bathroom receptacle circuit rules for "no other outlets" were violated?

And as you consider that, don't forget that we'd be looking at the 1984 or '87 NEC for those answers.

Volta

NEC 2008 - see 210.7, not sure about the code when this install was done, and wouldn't use this practice today.

Agreed. But to consider original compliance for existing wiring, one should not compare the work in question to the current code, but rather the code in effect at the time of installation. If the work was done "about 25 years" ago, I would try to look at the 1987 NEC, though I don't know what was actually adopted / enforced in that jurisdiction at that time.

In the 1987 NEC, 220-4(b)(1) Exception No. 2 allowed outdoor receptacles to be connected to the SABCs.

Bathroom receptacle outlets were not restricted, as far as I see, to semi-dedicated circuits until 1996, with the expansion of text of 210-52(b)

Status
Not open for further replies.