Deposit or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

That money is spent after the contract is signed. My response was to the post saying the deposit was to cover the time doing the estimate.

I realize that costs are inured to start a project. I already stated that I don't have an issue with asking for a deposit. I don't agree with a blanket 50% deposit on all jobs or other large deposit. The deposit should only be enough to get the job started. After the job is started you can ask for additional progress payments. The amount really depends on the size of the project. If its a 1 or 2 day project I can see getting a larger percentage. If the job is going to take several weeks or more there is no way I'm going to give someone 50% upfront.

So you don't have an issue with deposits you just have an issue with getting 50% upfront. So then what amount would you pay? 10%? 20%? 30%? 40%? Why do you feel a lower amount is better? If you have done due diligence in selecting your contractor then why would any amount be a problem?

kwired

Electron manager
My project at a local school that I have been working on most of the summer, is still not quite complete. School superintendent wanted me to give him my final bill recently, as he wants it to be paid before end of month as their fiscal year ends then and he wants it to be on the current fiscal year. Not everyone wants to have work completely done before they pay you, for other reasons. Of course this is a customer I have done a lot of work for in previous years and they do trust me to finish the project. And it is probably near or even past 90% completed.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I googled Fulthrotl, got Randy Allen, Huntington Beach, California

yeah, but we are dealing with the cats name....

i found fluffy, by the way, but the cat's in the
witness protection program, so i'm having a
hard time locating the owner....

however, i did google fulthrotl, and there's
a bunch of crap that shows up, some mine,
some not.... kinda creepy, like being stalked
by a google spider. i'd never bothered to check
before.

:eek:

Blaer

Why, pray tell, are we replacing knowledge with ignorance? It's hardly the first time these, and other business topics, have been discussed.

Let's do a poll. Raise your hand if you have a copy of the NEC. Now, lower that hand if you own a copy of the UCC (Uniform Commercial Code.)

Why do you still have your hand in the air? It seems to me the first thing you do when you don't know something is to RESEARCH the topic. We all ought to know the rules were work by!

Then there's the practical aspect. Most every 'home improvement' article you find tells the homeowner that a 'reputable' contractor will NEVER ask for money up front. Even Mike Holmes says so. Who wants to tell the customer they're marginal?

Some folks here participate in ESI, or other "service" frameworks. What do these places teach? Do they ask for money up front? It might be worthwhile to imitate the successful.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Then there's the practical aspect. Most every 'home improvement' article you find tells the homeowner that a 'reputable' contractor will NEVER ask for money up front. Even Mike Holmes says so. Who wants to tell the customer they're marginal?

i'm sorry, but i don't earn my living based on what a
reality show host says.

it's formula driven crap. he marches in, and tells the
pitiful homeowner how screwed up everyone before
him was, and how much damage they did.

and he's the hero, come to save the day. ok, fine.

irregardless of the accuracy of his assessments,
most of what's going on is drama infused hype.

what works for me, is a job by job assessment of
what is fair and appropriate.

i had a commercial account once, that screwed around
for a YEAR before finally giving the go ahead on $10k
worth of work. started off at $60k, finally they went with
$10k worth of the project.

after dealing with the person in charge for that length
of time, and seeing how he behaved, my terms were
100% deposit, materials ordered and work scheduled
after check has cleared my bank.

and that is how it went down. he squabbled about having
to pay up front, and i told him exactly why i was requiring
something that unusual.

he had the check cut and fedexed to me in two days.

some little fly by night organization? nope. the municipal
government of a city with a population of the top 15 in
the US. cities.

220/221

It might be worthwhile to imitate the successful.

I didn't understand a lot of this rant but, I'm successful so imitate me and get a damn deposit :)

And, lol at "Even Mike Holmes says....":lol:

What does Snookie have to say about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.