50A RV outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Has anyone here ever heard of a 50A/120V RV outlet. I have a customer who insists that this is the size circuit that is required for his fathers RV that will occasionally be staying at his house. I am familiar with 125V/30A and 125/250V/50A. I even had him call his father and he confirmed that this was the requirement on the unit. I'm certain he is wrong, just trying to get the correct info. Cost difference is huge between 120' of 10-2 NM vs. 120' of 6/3NM. Thanks.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I would ask him to send you a picture of the cord cap (plug).
Or the NEMA number on it if it is new enough to have one.
You may also have a situation in which the existing use was a 50A 250 V connection with both hot leads fed from the same 120V.
If this is the case, the result would be an overloaded neutral if standard wiring practices are followed.

Or he may must be saying that he does not have any 240 volt loads but the original installation really was 120/240 3-wire.

Last edited:

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Well I thought they were not that uncommon, I have wired for several, but not finding anything with Google search, now I wonder if the ones I saw had RV wiring modified?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
You could ask him how many prongs the plug has and if it plugs in just fine at most campgrounds. If it is a normal RV plug, you know the two choices. The 50A solution will work for whatever he has, as most RV'ers have or can get the required adapter cords. But as you noted it will cost the most.

BAHTAH

RV Receptacle

RV Receptacle

Has anyone here ever heard of a 50A/120V RV outlet. I have a customer who insists that this is the size circuit that is required for his fathers RV that will occasionally be staying at his house. I am familiar with 125V/30A and 125/250V/50A. I even had him call his father and he confirmed that this was the requirement on the unit. I'm certain he is wrong, just trying to get the correct info. Cost difference is huge between 120' of 10-2 NM vs. 120' of 6/3NM. Thanks.

Atricle 551 covers the requirements for RV's and RV Parks. 551.46(C) shows the configurations for RV,s. 551.71 details the Type Receptacles required for an RV Park. There is no 50A-120V. Install the 50amp 120/240v receptacle and if all the load is not balanced your covered.

jmaotto

Atricle 551 covers the requirements for RV's and RV Parks. 551.46(C) shows the configurations for RV,s. 551.71 details the Type Receptacles required for an RV Park. There is no 50A-120V. Install the 50amp 120/240v receptacle and if all the load is not balanced your covered.

It is the same as a 50 amp 4 wire range receptacle.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
With a decent pair of vice grips one of my 'backer-chewin" relatives can and will change plug configurations as needed :D

Status
Not open for further replies.