Cable Track fill limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I typically refer to NFPA79 for our equipment requirement but the only thing I can find there regarding is the reference below. "NFPA 79-12 section 13.5.2 Percentage Fills of Raceways (Duct). The combined cross-sectional area of all conductors and cables shall not exceed 50% of the interior cross-sectional area of the raceway (duct)." The fill provisions shall be based on the actual dimensions of the conductors or cables used.

Our equipment often has moving carriage, and booms, the cables and hoses going to the motors, cameras weld torches etc are usually ran through what we refer to as powertarck. Is there an article in either NFPA 70 or NFPA 79 that describes the fill limits of this type of cable management. The hoses usually have things like torch coolant, sheilding gas (Argon) and flux recovery hoses. Would these Items be included in the fill requirement?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I've not experienced any situation where these "flexible ducts" are used as anything other than part of the equipment involved and not under NEC purview.

While I'm not totally familiar with NFPA 79, I'm doubting that even its fill requirement would apply as you likely wouldn't be able to run other systems through the same raceway/duct.

IMO, the only thing that would apply from either code would be cable support and protection from physical damage.

cadpoint

The "NEC" prints a whole bunch of Codes for us as to apply the what, when, how, of delivering electrical service, with most applications it's called out differantly as to W,W,W per the type of application. The vessels used such as a gutter or duct it goes up to 50% but this is based on the total area of all of the Sq/in Area or all the conductors(including the insulation) involved.

Welcome to the Forum.

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
According to NEC[NFPA 70] installation of cable in the same raceway[hose!!] with other systems is forbidden. See: NEC Art.300.8 Installation of Conductors with Other Systems.
"Raceways or cable trays containing electrical conductors shall not contain any pipe, tube, or equal for steam, water, air, gas, drainage, or any service other than electrical."
In a cable tray you don't need hose to install the cable. See NEC Art.392 for cable tray loading.
The cable tray permissible loading is connected to cable ampacity.
For maximum mechanical loading you have to consult the cable tray manufacturer [or NEMA VE-1,2].
Also NFPA-79 does not permit installation with other systems:
See: ch.12.2.2.2 Pipelines, tubing, or devices (e.g., solenoid valves) for handling air, gases, or liquids shall not be located in enclosures or compartments containing electrical control equipment." Here it is some exceptions:
Exception No. 2: Pipelines, tubings, or devices that are an integral part of listed equipment and are separated by suitable barriers[????].
However, this does not mean it is permitted to instal such a system together with power or control cables in the same duct.
Nevertheless, if, based on Exception No. 2, the hoses content such a mixing the maximum permissible load will be as per tray catalogue or NEMA.

Thanks for your input

Thanks for your input

I looked at NFPA 79 12.2.2.2 in the 1997 Edition and the 2011 Edition and do not see a reference that applies. The cooling lines and sheilding gas are an integral part of a weld torch that welds in a small ID tank. My conclusion it that even though specific reference is not made in the code that the intent no more then 50% of the available space after subtract the space used by the hoses with a 60% fill max, The manufacture recommends no more then 60% fill.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.