Unlicensed installation of underground pvc conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can a general contractor hire unlicensed workers to install electrical pvc on a job so a licensed crew can install the wire at a later date?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Can a general contractor hire unlicensed workers to install electrical pvc on a job so a licensed crew can install the wire at a later date?
Depends on the building code, labor laws and contracts of the state involved. There is a thread here about one state ruling that running pipe (not just PVC but even EMT, etc.) is not electrical work.

One of the main questions raised in that thread is who would be responsible for correction if the electrical crew/electrician discovers a code violation in the piping or the wire cannot be pulled for some reason.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
My "local rules" rely heavily on the NEC.
And the NEC does not specify who can do the work, just how it may be done. Licensing, etc. is local or state law. If there is no local or state law about electrical contracting, licensing, and installation, or even who is allowed to pull a permit for electrical work, then there is nothing else to go by.

templdl

I cringe when someone else installs underground PVC conduit and expects me to pull through it, issues arise every single time... :(

Yes, and who is liable should the conduit be installed incorrectly are there is a failure of the conduit the you may need to get involved to replace the cable should a warranty be involved?
This must be something the should be included in the contract. Who pays for your time and material should the contact fail or there in an issue with the original installation?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Was it inspected? If not then you have an option but I would call the inspection department and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.