Frequency in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

hshrainey

Is there a code or regulation on what frequency that can be used in the US. Example of a barcode scanner in the US used 910Mhz and Europe uses 433Mhz, can you use the Europe one in the US?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Is there a code or regulation on what frequency that can be used in the US. Example of a barcode scanner in the US used 910Mhz and Europe uses 433Mhz, can you use the Europe one in the US?

Be advised that 433Mhz falls into the Amateur Radio band, a licensed service. Although not likely to occur, should a licensed operator be interfered with by your scanner's signal, you have broken the law and will possibly get a notice from the FCC to stop using the equipment.

Also, any equipment that uses radio transmissions that does not need a license needs to be Part 15 approved. Knowingly using non-type accepted equipment is also a violation of federal law. Part 15 approval relieves the end user of having to worry about frequency allocations, but the end user is still responsible for the operation of the device and must cease to use it, Part 15 approval or not, if it interferes with licensed operations.

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I used Google and searched for " FCC frequency in machines " note the fifth entry, I realize that you might not be broadcasting and that your system is
even self contained but this might well be involved.

I don't think the author knows the correct definition of the term 'broadcasting' as used by the FCC.

'Broadcasting' is transmitting information meant to be received by the general public. It is one way traffic only.

Controlling machinery via radio is 'tele-control'.

Using radios to communicate from person to person or station to station using two way traffic is 'telecommunication'.

The article specifies spread spectrum transmissions, which have only been legal for a short time and the FCC is still sorting out it's legal stance on that particular emission type.

Status
Not open for further replies.