210.12(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

Where the branch circuit "wiring" in a dwelling unit, is modified, extended or replaced,AFCI protection is now required.

I know that now, when a receptacle is replaced, it has to be TR. Does it also have to be AFCI protected?

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Where the branch circuit "wiring" in a dwelling unit, is modified, extended or replaced,AFCI protection is now required.

I know that now, when a receptacle is replaced, it has to be TR. Does it also have to be AFCI protected?

That will not take effect until January 2014

Gregg Harris

Occupation
So.................what you are saying is, no, 210.12(B) only applys to the modifing of the cable.

(B) Branch Circuit Extensions or Modifications ? Dwelling Units. In any of the areas specified in 210.12(A), where branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced, or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following: Changed From 2008

?
spacer.gif
210.12(B): Added new requirement for AFCI protection where branch circuits are extended or modified.

(1)
spacer.gif
A listed combination-type AFCI located at the origin of the branch circuit

(2)
spacer.gif
A listed outlet branch-circuit type AFCI located at the first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit

406.4(4) General Installation Requirements.
(4) Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. Where a receptacle outlet is supplied by a branch circuit that requires arc-fault circuit interrupter protection as specified elsewhere in this Code, a replacement receptacle at this outlet shall be one of the following: ?
spacer.gif
406.4(D)(4): Added new requirement covering replacement of a receptacle at a location where arc-fault circuit interruption protection of the branch circuit is required.

(1)
spacer.gif
A listed outlet branch circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupter rece

(2)
spacer.gif
A receptacle protected by a listed outlet branch circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupter type receptacle

(3)
spacer.gif
A receptacle protected by a listed combination type arc-fault circuit interrupter type circuit breaker

This requirement becomes effective January 1, 2014.

mwm1752

IMO Most of the time for industry to catch up with code. 2011 I do not believe a combination AFCI duplex was availiable & some panels did not have access to combo AFCI breakers. Now we have the AFCI Combo duplex. The same thing happened for the requirement of AFCI combination protection in NEC 2005 not to be enforced until 1/1/2008. NEC code adoption are not usually confirmed nationally until 7-8 months into its year.

Last edited:

Gregg Harris

Occupation
IMO Most of the time for industry to catch up with code. 2011 I do not believe a combination AFCI duplex was availiable & some panels did not have access to combo AFCI breakers. Now we have the AFCI Combo duplex. The same thing happened for the requirement of AFCI combination protection in NEC 2005 not to be enforced until 1/1/2008. NEC code adoption are not usually confirmed nationally until 7-8 months into its year.

X2 product was not available

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

If you replace an outlet then it does not have to be afci , IMO. You are not replacing or modifying the wiring. In 2014 I believe you will see that you could add as much as 6' to a circuit as long as no new outlet is added. This was adopted primarily for service changes where some inspectors were making us add afci if you even spliced the wire in the new panel to make it reach.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
If you replace an outlet then it does not have to be afci , IMO. You are not replacing or modifying the wiring. In 2014 I believe you will see that you could add as much as 6' to a circuit as long as no new outlet is added. This was adopted primarily for service changes where some inspectors were making us add afci if you even spliced the wire in the new panel to make it reach.

Under 406.4 (D) (4) as in (D) (3) when a receptacle is replaced in a location that requires AFCI or GFCI or both it is required to be replaced with the proper type.

AFCI requirements take effect January 1st 2014 GFCI is required in 2011

joebell

Under 406.4 (D) (4) as in (D) (3) when a receptacle is replaced in a location that requires AFCI or GFCI or both it is required to be replaced with the proper type.

This is going to be interesting because I believe the 2014 edition is requiring outlets in the kitchen to be AFCI protected.

Hendrix

Are you saying that the receptacle is not part of the wiring?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Yes I forgot about that but it is not required yet

Are you saying that the receptacle is not part of the wiring?
Yes I am saying that the receptacle is not the branch circuit wiring. However that is a moot point when Jan. 1 2014 comes around because the receptacle will have to be afci or the circuit afci if the receptacle is replaced.

Now seriously-- how many ec's do you think will replace a receptacle with an afci recep. on a service call. Not many but it will be code.

mwm1752

All registered EC's & electricians are obligated by code to install per code inspected or not. If an " not many " turns out to be true it as Dennis suggested, it could trigger a permit ( this being in the life safety catagory)which will increase cost to customers. I hope we don't go there.

shortcircuit2

(B) Branch Circuit Extensions or Modifications ? Dwelling Units. In any of the areas specified in 210.12(A), where branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced, or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following: Changed From 2008

?
spacer.gif
210.12(B): Added new requirement for AFCI protection where branch circuits are extended or modified.

(1)
spacer.gif
A listed combination-type AFCI located at the origin of the branch circuit

(2)
spacer.gif
A listed outlet branch-circuit type AFCI located at the first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit

406.4(4) General Installation Requirements.
(4) Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. Where a receptacle outlet is supplied by a branch circuit that requires arc-fault circuit interrupter protection as specified elsewhere in this Code, a replacement receptacle at this outlet shall be one of the following: ?
spacer.gif
406.4(D)(4): Added new requirement covering replacement of a receptacle at a location where arc-fault circuit interruption protection of the branch circuit is required.

(1)
spacer.gif
A listed outlet branch circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupter rece

(2)
spacer.gif
A receptacle protected by a listed outlet branch circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupter type receptacle

(3)
spacer.gif
A receptacle protected by a listed combination type arc-fault circuit interrupter type circuit breaker

This requirement becomes effective January 1, 2014.

Take note that the receptacle type AFCI is not required to be combination type.

mwm1752

Good catch shortcircuit2 now I wonder what all the fuss was about combo protection when its not needed if a recept is the protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.