Identifying Isolated grounding conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearj1506

I recently pulled both equipment and isolated grounding conductors in a conduit and someone said the Isolated grounding conductors must be green with a yellow stripe .(I marked with phase tape)IS this so? reference in code as I may challenge if required by inspector.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There's nothing in the NEC that would require the yellow stripe for an IG. You could use green with a yellow stripe for the standard EGC and a green conductor for the IG.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
There's nothing in the NEC that would require the yellow stripe for an IG. You could use green with a yellow stripe for the standard EGC and a green conductor for the IG.
+1
As long as the two wires are distinguishable and the various marking alternatives are each used uniformly through the facility.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'm wondering if it's actually required that you distinguish between the two?
Well, the isolated ground is supposed to run back to the panel, without interconnecting to other non-isolated grounds along the way, I believe.
So if the wiring goes through other device boxes, it is important to distinguish.
It may not be a code requirement but it is a practical one.
(There is also a possible difference between an isolated ground connection and a redundant ground ground connection (which is, I believe, standard in Hospital Grade.))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.