Existing Wooden junciton boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEC User

I am an electrical designer. Is there anything in the NEC that discusses the use of wooden junction boxes? I never came across wooden boxes before.

On my project, the contractor was supposed to remove/relocate 3 out of 30 light poles and remove/resplice cables within an adjacent junction box. The Contractor informed my that the junction boxes are buried one foot below grade and are made of wood. Are wooden junction boxes acceptable? I am considering asking him to verify if all 30 lights have wooden junction boxes and to replace them with concrete pullboxes. This would be a significant extra cost. Perhaps, I should only tell him to replace the 3 wooden junction boxes affected by our scope of work? Or are my able to just reuse the existing wood boxes if in good condition? Any thoughts? And any NEC code references?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I am an electrical designer. Is there anything in the NEC that discusses the use of wooden junction boxes? I never came across wooden boxes before.

On my project, the contractor was supposed to remove/relocate 3 out of 30 light poles and remove/resplice cables within an adjacent junction box. The Contractor informed my that the junction boxes are buried one foot below grade and are made of wood. Are wooden junction boxes acceptable? I am considering asking him to verify if all 30 lights have wooden junction boxes and to replace them with concrete pullboxes. This would be a significant extra cost. Perhaps, I should only tell him to replace the 3 wooden junction boxes affected by our scope of work? Or are my able to just reuse the existing wood boxes if in good condition? Any thoughts? And any NEC code references?

If the wires and connecting means are designed and recognized for direct burial, the box is simply acting as a mechanical means to keep the dirt from falling in. The NEC does not care about that AFAIK.

If the boxes are expected to provide water protection, then they are not going to pass. Same if the wires going in and out of them are in metallic conduit and the box would normally provide electrical continuity.
I personally would make sure that the splices themselves are water-tight and suitable for direct burial and be satisfied with that unless you want to add the extra cost to the project.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

All my years as an electrician I have seen plastic junction boxes, porcelain junction boxes, metal junction boxes, fibreglass junction boxes, PVC junction boxes.... I have never ever seen, or heard of, a wooden junction box. I may need to again look at 314.

mwm1752

Never seen wooden j boxes either & the NEC 1956 requires and j box over 100 Cu In to be metallic. If it was code installed and not a hazard according to the AHJ then what is not altered should be able to stay. Any upgrades should trigger present day compliance IMO. kbsparky -- Your wooden load center is definately prior to 1956 as they were required to be metallic.

kwired

Electron manager
All my years as an electrician I have seen plastic junction boxes, porcelain junction boxes, metal junction boxes, fibreglass junction boxes, PVC junction boxes.... I have never ever seen, or heard of, a wooden junction box. I may need to again look at 314.
And you would think below grade would be about the worst place to use such a box.

Never seen wooden j boxes either & the NEC 1956 requires and j box over 100 Cu In to be metallic. If it was code installed and not a hazard according to the AHJ then what is not altered should be able to stay. Any upgrades should trigger present day compliance IMO. kbsparky -- Your wooden load center is definately prior to 1956 as they were required to be metallic.
1956 code would have problems with a lot of products that are common today.

kwired

Electron manager
I worked in an old plant (100 + years old) it had wooden trough and saw several disconnects made by Colt Arms

Did it also have open terminal cleat type lamp sockets, exposed blade knife switches, maybe even motors that were made before NEMA standards came about?

Status
Not open for further replies.