208V cord drop question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleman

We have an existing installation of 50A 208V 4 wire drops. There are as many as 3 drops on a single circuit on a 50A breaker. Each drop has a single 50A receptacle installed.
One of the engineers says this is not ok, having multiple drops on one circuit. So we are looking at running individual drops with each on it's own breaker. I like the idea because
we don't power anything that needs 50A and I would like to downsize the connectors and cable we are using. But I would like to read up on the code covering cord drops, so
if anyone wants to give me a pointer or advice it is greatly appreciated.

Volta

Between 210.19(A)(2), 210.21(B)(3), 240.4, and Table 400.5(A)(1), the drops would have to be at least 6 AWG, assuming they're something in the SO family or column 3 list, for the situation you've described, and the non-drop conductors would have to be worth at least 50 amps to be compliant.

There is no restriction that prevents multiple outlets on a branch-circuit as you've described.

But if the facility doesn't need them anyway, may as well reduce the OCPD and receptacles as needed.

Aleman

Thanks for the info. It looks like the engineer is mistaken on this one. These drops are used to power pump carts from 2-10hp. Conductors above are sized ok.
Some of the drops themselves might be less than 6AWG. Are you saying the drop conductors are ok to be derated?

Working a long day today. I'll check this out later. Thanks again.

Volta

Thanks for the info. It looks like the engineer is mistaken on this one. These drops are used to power pump carts from 2-10hp. Conductors above are sized ok.
Some of the drops themselves might be less than 6AWG. Are you saying the drop conductors are ok to be derated?

Working a long day today. I'll check this out later. Thanks again.

No, what I am saying is that if the branch circuit feeds more than one receptacle then Section 210.19(A)(2) requires the conductors to have an ampacity of not less than the branch-circuit rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.