knockout set

Status
Not open for further replies.

templdl

bi-metal hole saw, but if you look for Tungsten Carbide Tipped it will be faster and cleaner over standard one.

I use an extremely slow speed and coolant if available. I believe that by using too fast of a speed the heat generated at the end of the cutting tip actually hardens a SS and intern dulls the cutting edge. So be very, very patient and allow the holesaw to cut.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I use an extremely slow speed and coolant if available. I believe that by using too fast of a speed the heat generated at the end of the cutting tip actually hardens a SS and intern dulls the cutting edge. So be very, very patient and allow the holesaw to cut.
So true. Painfully slow and every bit of patience that can be mustered.

Aleman

I use a regular Klein set to knockout stainless as long as it isn't too thick. Over 16ga I will use hole saws...just regular saws, slow feed, lots of lube. The SS will kill your
knockouts but they do work. Put lube on those too.

kwired

Electron manager
I use a regular Klein set to knockout stainless as long as it isn't too thick. Over 16ga I will use hole saws...just regular saws, slow feed, lots of lube. The SS will kill your
knockouts but they do work. Put lube on those too.

Used to do a lot of work in a Dairy processing plant. Lots of stainless enclosures there. We punched holes all the time with standard KO sets and had no issues. Hydraulic ram is definitely your friend though. I think some of the slug buster/slug splitter sets are not recommended for use with stainless, but most of the standard punches usually don't say anything about stainless restrictions.

If you want a "clean hole" the hole saw is a poor choice. A worn/dull KO punch is also a poor choice. Ultra cutters, or similar, in good condition make very clean holes in stainless. Lubricant is necessary but not just any lubricant. Those designed specifically for cutting stainless work best. Slow speed is important. High speed just creates more heat and makes the cut more difficult, as well as destroys the cutting tool.

rt66electric

Drill slow LOTS of HEAVY pressure

templdl

Does that really work? It would seem to me it would just insulate the inside portion of the holesaw and inhibit any natural cooling.

Maybe you need to pack it with dry ice:cool:

No, start with a six pack off beer. Poor a little beer on ot drink some beer, poor a little more beer on it and drink some more beer. The way that I got it figured is that if you have it timed right you will ron out of beer just when the job is complete and you will not care it you ruined the bit or not.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Does that really work? It would seem to me it would just insulate the inside portion of the holesaw and inhibit any natural cooling.

:cool:
I thought it worked, assumed duct seal getting warm meant holesaw was warming slower, but since you asked if it works, I can't prove that it does. I felt like my holesaws were lasting longer when I started packing with duct seal but have no statistics to back up with.

kwired

Electron manager
I thought it worked, assumed duct seal getting warm meant holesaw was warming slower, but since you asked if it works, I can't prove that it does. I felt like my holesaws were lasting longer when I started packing with duct seal but have no statistics to back up with.

Maybe you use super heat conductive duct seal of some kind. It would make sense to pack it with something that is a good conductor of heat to sink some of the heat, but I wouldn't think your typical "duct seal" is a very good heat conductor, and for good reason when sealing raceways with different temperatures on each side.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Maybe you use super heat conductive duct seal of some kind. It would make sense to pack it with something that is a good conductor of heat to sink some of the heat, but I wouldn't think your typical "duct seal" is a very good heat conductor, and for good reason when sealing raceways with different temperatures on each side.
But for sealing, the purpose is usually to keep moisture (and/or heated or cooled air) from passing through the hole. Its insulating qualities are not really important for that.

kwired

Electron manager
But for sealing, the purpose is usually to keep moisture (and/or heated or cooled air) from passing through the hole. Its insulating qualities are not really important for that.

True, but if the seal is a thin wall of copper (high thermal conductivity) and the temp and humidity difference is great enough you will still get condensation on it even there is no air exchange:p

Though you likely will not see copper used as a raceway seal either

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
We punch holes in stainless steel kitchen hoods all the time. We use Greenlee punches. Never had a problem. Drilling the pilot hole, that's another story. Slow speed, high pressure and keep it lubed. I used Breakfree CLP with good success.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
We punch holes in stainless steel kitchen hoods all the time. We use Greenlee punches. Never had a problem. Drilling the pilot hole, that's another story. Slow speed, high pressure and keep it lubed. I used Breakfree CLP with good success.

Do you use split point or chisel point bits?

Status
Not open for further replies.