Remote Operation of 480 V Circuit Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

( Sq D 4000 amp switch Board ) All of our 480V services are rated 94 cal/cm 2 . These switchboards have Sq D type PAF , MA , LG breakers in them . These are not breakers that rack in . Reading a previous question on operating breakers with the covers closed I am under the impression that we should be using a remote operating device to close these . Is that a correct assumption ? I also understand that we should be using PPE when opening or closeing these breakers . Does anyone make a device for Molded Case breakers like these to be remotely operated ?

zog

( Sq D 4000 amp switch Board ) All of our 480V services are rated 94 cal/cm 2 . These switchboards have Sq D type PAF , MA , LG breakers in them . These are not breakers that rack in . Reading a previous question on operating breakers with the covers closed I am under the impression that we should be using a remote operating device to close these . Is that a correct assumption ? I also understand that we should be using PPE when opening or closeing these breakers . Does anyone make a device for Molded Case breakers like these to be remotely operated ?

Pick your breaker
http://www.cbsarcsafe.com/catalog/#?page=66

Last edited:

Davebones

Zog ,thanks for the information on the remote operator . I will pass this along to upper management . I checked the price and I hate to say this but I don't see them willing to spend the money for something ( opening and closing breakers ) that will happen only once in awhile. If I were to push the issue I don't like where they will push me " OTD " if you know what I mean .

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Zog ,thanks for the information on the remote operator . I will pass this along to upper management . I checked the price and I hate to say this but I don't see them willing to spend the money for something ( opening and closing breakers ) that will happen only once in awhile. If I were to push the issue I don't like where they will push me " OTD " if you know what I mean .
At least if you have a lot of identical or compatible breakers you can get just one remote operator and move it around as needed. (For most breaker types, that is.)
Hopefully installing or removing the actuator would not be considered interacting with the breaker and so can be done hot without high grade PPE.
They should think of it as an insurance policy and let their risk manager calculate what it will cost them if an arc flash severely injures or kills somebody.
The down time alone during the investigation has to be expensive. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.