NEC plus will not include 2014 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwoodk

Code Check
Occupation
Author
Here's a bummer to contemplate for any of you that use NECplus extensively. I was just notified by Maureen Burton @
NFPA Customer Service Dept. NECplus will NOT include 2014 NEC. Perhaps if there is a ground swell of cancellations they will reconsider. Without the most current NEC, the value of NECplus is hugely diminished.:rant:

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Perhaps this is linked to there continuing lawsuit about access to codes and copyrights that they are bringing up.

I certainly hope not. It is easier to navigate NECPLUS than to navigate it on the NFPA sight using "insta read" or what ever it is called

CodeCheck

What the

What the

How on earth can they do this? Their own ad says "as an NEC Plus member you have instant access to the current and former editions of the NEC"

Surely this is a misunderstanding about when they are going to post it, not about whether they are going to post it. They have invested a lot of time and energy and created a great product with NEC plus. I use it all the time, and lately have been checking daily for the 2014 NEC. In the last code cycle, they had the 2011 up there just before Labor Day. If they aren't going to ever include the 2014 edition, what will happen to the site? Will they just close it at the end of the year?

Say it ain't so...

Douglas Hansen

Last edited by a moderator:

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Reswponse from NFPA

Reswponse from NFPA

[FONT=&quot]Gregg,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you for contacting the National Fire Protection Association(NFPA).[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NFPA has decided to stop offering NECPlus yearly subscriptions, because the 2014 NEC will not be going into NECPlus. The last day of access to NECPlus will be on February 28, 2014. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There will be no subscription replacement product, however there will be an enhanced eBook product for the 2014 NEC - with changes (from the 2011 NEC) identified. This will be a one-time purchase product (not a subscription). The 2014 NEC enhanced eBook will provide our customers with more mobility (via use on tablets and smartphones) and it will include features such as bookmarking, user notes, and highlighting options. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]?NEC Connect?[/FONT][FONT=&quot] is our new online resource and community for all things related to the National Electrical Code.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Learn about the latest in electrical safety, wiring, guidelines, and equipment, along with upcoming electrical code updates, tips and the latest social updates from the NFPA. NEC Connect is your one-stop shop for residential and industrial electrical safety, whether you are an installer, designer, inspector or policy maker. Join fellow contractors and engineers, and sample the latest video content, articles and more from industry experts.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Click on the link below and subscribe TODAY for exclusive access to all video content, conversations, updates, and white papers. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]www.necconnect.org[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My contact information is below in case there is anything further you may need.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Your NFPA Customer Contact,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ann-Marie Christopher[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NFPA Customer Contact Center[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11 Tracy Dr[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Avon Ma 02322[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]800-344-3555 Ext 8318[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]508-895-8318[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fax 800-593-6372 or 508-895-8301[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]achristopher@nfpa.org[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

joebell

This is a shame NECPlus was an awesome tool, necconnect seems to be nothing more than a video hosting site with little access to the NEC or 70E. I'm sorry to see this product go away I've been a subscriber for years.

kwired

Electron manager
Gregg,

Thank you for contacting the National Fire Protection Association(NFPA).

NFPA has decided to stop offering NECPlus yearly subscriptions, because the 2014 NEC will not be going into NECPlus. The last day of access to NECPlus will be on February 28, 2014.

There will be no subscription replacement product, however there will be an enhanced eBook product for the 2014 NEC - with changes (from the 2011 NEC) identified. This will be a one-time purchase product (not a subscription). The 2014 NEC enhanced eBook will provide our customers with more mobility (via use on tablets and smartphones) and it will include features such as bookmarking, user notes, and highlighting options.

?NEC Connect? is our new online resource and community for all things related to the National Electrical Code. Learn about the latest in electrical safety, wiring, guidelines, and equipment, along with upcoming electrical code updates, tips and the latest social updates from the NFPA. NEC Connect is your one-stop shop for residential and industrial electrical safety, whether you are an installer, designer, inspector or policy maker. Join fellow contractors and engineers, and sample the latest video content, articles and more from industry experts.

Click on the link below and subscribe TODAY for exclusive access to all video content, conversations, updates, and white papers.

www.necconnect.org

My contact information is below in case there is anything further you may need.

Your NFPA Customer Contact,

Ann-Marie Christopher
NFPA Customer Contact Center
11 Tracy Dr
Avon Ma 02322

800-344-3555 Ext 8318
508-895-8318
Fax 800-593-6372 or 508-895-8301
achristopher@nfpa.org

If it is what I think you are saying, I kind of like it.

I did not like it when 2011 came out and they no longer offered the CD ROM version. They then wanted you to subscribe to NEC plus to get something close to the older CD ROM versions. I did like some of the features, like access to other years, access to handbook comments, UL white page links placed where they apply in the code, inclusion of 70E access to the subscription, etc. But when it came down to navigation of the current year NEC which is what I do the most, I liked the navagation tools and search engines better that were part of the 2008 NEC CD ROM:( Plus you have to have internet access to use it. I know that is becoming more of the norm, but out here in the boonies it is not always the norm either. Now if new product requires internet access to use it, I already dislike it. I would like to see a product that can be installed on a machine and used for at least basic browsing and searching of the code content even if there is no current internet access like we had with the CD ROM versions, but maybe have enhancements that can be available when there is internet access.

joebell

Here's the link to NFPA's prices. Seems like they've gone up again this year, and I have a sneaking suspicion that they won't be giving away a free PDF with book purchase this cycle. :(

http://www.nfpa.org/catalog/product.asp?link_type=buy_box&pid=7014SB&icid=A292&cookie_test=1

George,

Not all the books last code cycle came with the free download. I purchased one directly from NFPA that did not have the free download yet the free copy I got from IAEI did. go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.