Normally Closed contactor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbakelis

Hello.

I'm looking for a basic normally closed contactor. The only ones I'm finding are the ones that have that attachment that goes on top. I need 4 poles or 2-2pole. Its for lighting.

Anyone have a brand or model that they like to use?

Thanks,

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What's the application, if you use a mechanically held contactor {ASCO 917} it can be held in the N/C or N/O position.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
And there are lighting contactors who's contacts can be ordered or converted to NC. I believe the old Sq D 8903 lighting contactors were like that, but I'm not sure if the French dumped that product line like they did so many others in the old Sq D catalog, in favor of some cheap Frenchy IEC version.

Follow up: yes they are still available.

Last edited:
Hello.

I'm looking for a basic normally closed contactor. The only ones I'm finding are the ones that have that attachment that goes on top. I need 4 poles or 2-2pole. Its for lighting.

Anyone have a brand or model that they like to use?

Thanks,

I believe that you are looking for a contactor WITH a set of NORMALLY CLOSED CONTACTS. "Normally" means on-the-shelf status and the contractors do not come withe their inherent power supply sitting on the shelf with them .........:lol:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Honestly, I am not a fan of GE products in general, but the contactor base 463L20AJA allows you to install multiple 1- or 2-pole contactors as either NO or NC.
That exact same contactor is available from other mfrs, but is actually made by Eaton (Cutler Hammer). I found out once because I ordered one from GE and it was months late. I was ready to kill someone because of LDs, so GE said they would fly one in from "the factory". The box arrived on FedEx from an Eaton facility and the unit inside was a CH, not GE. Since then I see that the same thing is also sold by A-B.

I didn't like it though. It crapped out less than a year later. They replaced it, but the electronic control on it make it too complicated for something as simple as a freaking lighting contactor in my opinion.

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
And there are lighting contactors who's contacts can be ordered or converted to NC. I believe the old Sq D 8903 lighting contactors were like that, but I'm not sure if the French dumped that product line like they did so many others in the old Sq D catalog, in favor of some cheap Frenchy IEC version.

Follow up: yes they are still available.

Very few of the old Square D line was dumped, however some of it became 9is becoming) obsolete (their type S line of products was introduced 40+ years ago).

Anyway, the 8903 Type L contactor has reversible contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.