Improving grounding electrode resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volta

So I will install a ground plate this week, due to hitting solid rock with two rods last week 36" to 60" below the surface.

Hoping to manage with a single plate and not dig two holes, as there is a metal water line. What materials are reasonable to surround the copper plate with to ensure good conductivity, but not unduly corrode the copper?

Calcium carbonate? Coke powder (wouldn't know where to get any...)? Ground coal? Just water?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
So I will install a ground plate this week, due to hitting solid rock with two rods last week 36" to 60" below the surface.

Hoping to manage with a single plate and not dig two holes, as there is a metal water line. What materials are reasonable to surround the copper plate with to ensure good conductivity, but not unduly corrode the copper?

Calcium carbonate? Coke powder (wouldn't know where to get any...)? Ground coal? Just water?

what difference does it make? the actual resistance is not all that important.

kwired

Electron manager
How do you figure that?

How is digging a second hole in a tougher location, removing about 3.75 cu ft of dirt, driving and buying the sq ft of copper or steel cheaper than just testing the first and finding it is ok?

How much does testing cost and/or purchasing what you will use for the test.

If you already have testing equipment, I guess it may not cost you any additional amount, but how much did it cost and has it paid for itself in usage yet?

How do you figure that?

How is digging a second hole in a tougher location, removing about 3.75 cu ft of dirt, driving and buying the sq ft of copper or steel cheaper than just testing the first and finding it is ok?

250.53g the rod only needs to be 30 inches deep. Sounds like you have that. Drive it at a a shallow angle call it a day and have a beer...

Volta

If you already have testing equipment, I guess it may not cost you any additional amount, but how much did it cost and has it paid for itself in usage yet?

I can borrow a tester, so time only, maybe not much time either, depending.

250.53g the rod only needs to be 30 inches deep. Sounds like you have that. Drive it at a a shallow angle call it a day and have a beer...

Well, we do hit rock at 45 degrees, do you interprets that to allow the upper end to be flush when using the 30" trench? I never have considered it that way.

But still that is a lot of earth to move two times if digging. That's why I'm planning on a buried plate instead.

Volta

I would rather bury a plate than two 8' rods. There is no CEE?

Yeah, me too. Probably digging in a dirt basement for this one.

No CEE, this place is like Underground Railroad (unconfirmed by me though) old, and pretty much dug into rock. The Ohio Utility Protection Service worker had a lot of trouble locating the ATT lines right next to the lateral too, so I don't feel safe digging / pounding next to the service. Also, it is pavement there, a rod or two is one thing, but a hole for a plate is quite another.

I can borrow a tester, so time only, maybe not much time either, depending.

Well, we do hit rock at 45 degrees, do you interprets that to allow the upper end to be flush when using the 30" trench? I never have considered it that way.

But still that is a lot of earth to move two times if digging. That's why I'm planning on a buried plate instead.

Ok no I think you are correct. I guess burying in a 30" trench implies that no part of the rod can be above 30". you would need 22 degrees with 36" till rock. I wont comment on the option of fudging the rules a bit.....;)

brian john

On the low end $880.00, in our area. Assuming a proper 3-point test.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Well, we do hit rock at 45 degrees, do you interprets that to allow the upper end to be flush when using the 30" trench? I never have considered it that way. ...
My take on the application of this is that the rod must be placed horizontally in the bottom of the 30" deep trench.

Status
Not open for further replies.