Ceiling mounted receptacle - snipping power cord allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

For a ceiling mounted projector that is provided with a power cord to plug into a receptacle outlet, is it allowed to snip the end of the power cord to hard wire it into a ceiling junction box since flexible cords aren't permitted above a hung ceiling?

iwire

Staff member
In my opinion no it is not.

We install the outlet in the ceiling tile facing down using a 4" square box, an appropriate plaster ring and a Caddy 512HD support bar.

Lectricbota

For a ceiling mounted projector that is provided with a power cord to plug into a receptacle outlet, is it allowed to snip the end of the power cord to hard wire it into a ceiling junction box since flexible cords aren't permitted above a hung ceiling?

I don't think we are allowed to hardwire flexible cords--but regardless, it would still be a flexible cord.

cppoly

I'm not quite sure I understand the question. Flexible cord is flexible cord whether it's got a cord cap on it or not.

Let me clarify, I meant to write flexible cords aren't allowed to be plugged into receptacles located above the hung ceiling.

So for a ceiling mounted projector, I wanted to know if the end of the power cord that comes with the projector if that could be snipped so that it was hard wired into a ceiling mounted junction box and not a receptacle.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Let me clarify, I meant to write flexible cords aren't allowed to be plugged into receptacles located above the hung ceiling.

So for a ceiling mounted projector, I wanted to know if the end of the power cord that comes with the projector if that could be snipped so that it was hard wired into a ceiling mounted junction box and not a receptacle.

The the answer is no. It's not that you can't plug anything in, you just can't leave anything plugged in. Flexible cord is not allowed to be conceled above a suspended ceiling.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The the answer is no. It's not that you can't plug anything in, you just can't leave anything plugged in. Flexible cord is not allowed to be conceled above a suspended ceiling.
But you will find also the counter-argument that it it is not building wiring but a power cord integral to a listed product and therefore not covered.
Needless to say, that argument is not generally accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.