200 amp meter main with a location for a pv breaker as a main disocnnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
[/I]
The exact language of the Code section (2011), that the first(closest to the GTI) overcurrent device is the one which must be used all the way through seems to require that the sum of the branch breakers at the combiner be used upstream rather than the size of the combiner main breaker. That is contrary to what you say the experts agree on, and therefore seems to call for a revision to the Code language.
If it said "previous" rather than "first", then the interpretation you refer to might be justified.

'Previous' is precisely the interpretation they were trying to eliminate. "First or smallest combined" might have been the right language. But the 2014 code will make this argument obsolete by using 125% of inverter output for all calculations. So the actual breaker sizes will no longer matter.

Zee

Hmmm, a lot learned here.
Thank you all.

I agree with what i might bravely describe as your combined view: (golddigger, ggunn, jben and PM),
that using a combined pv output brkr that is sufficient to handle combined amps but is lower than the sum of individual brkrs meets:
intent and logic (some disagree here),
or at least expert opinions
- but not exact wording of code.

FWIW, i have had several systems passed per above.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In this case specifically: (THIS JOB TRULY IS ONE IN about 50, in terms of design challenges)
I will be going up to a SMA 5000TL for the 10 + 10 Panels (5 KW-stc) ( i really should not put 5 KW-stc on a 4 KW GTI.)
and stay with a SMA 4000TL for the 10 + 6 panels (4 KW-stc)
There is just no way to get this on a 200 A MSP with 200 amp main brkr.
So i will downsize main brkr to 175 A.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PWDickerson,
Because of the roof gables and sizes I MUST have 20, 6, and 10 panels all facing different directions. There is no way but to string as above.

PW, if i install 2 GTI's i do want same brand inverters. And i do prefer SMA in general , and want the new TL specifically!
Otherwise, I must say i like the Power One 3600 + SMA 4000 combo as one of the best thought out solutions.
It totals 7600 W which is exactly what the 40 Amp max is!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Siemens panel allows 60 amps of PV as a breaker used for supply side connection, the Square D has only 50 amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.