Code Question: Above Ground Conduits

Status
Not open for further replies.

snerts50

If one wanted to run high voltage conductors along a landfill, and over head was not an option, and in this case since one cannot penetrate the cap covering the landfill, direct buried conductors was not an option, would it be code compliant to simply install the conductors in above ground rigid metal conduit? Could one simply lay these along the ground with clear markers? Or would one need to encase the conductors in concrete, similar to a buried ductbank?

I was looking over section 300.37 for Aboveground Wiring Methods: Seems like if the conductors were installed in rigid metal conduit this might be acceptable. I just don't know if 300.50 also comes into play, since these would normally be under ground conductors and would be buried.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe you can run them above the ground in RMC but I would think you would have to drive some unistrut or something into the earth to support the raceway. Now I don't know much about Voltages over 600 so maybe someone else has some other article that may effect this.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It may LLS, but can you lay out the conduit then cover with dirt on top of the cap? Will methane be a problem?
That's the thing about the way the code is written...

If you lay conduit above grade and cover with dirt, you then have buried conduit and the minimum cover requirements kick in. :happyyes:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I believe you can run them above the ground in RMC but I would think you would have to drive some unistrut or something into the earth to support the raceway. Now I don't know much about Voltages over 600 so maybe someone else has some other article that may effect this.
Between run termini, other than secured within 3' of such, the conduit only needs to be supported... which the ground is very effective means of support :p

snerts50

Thanks for the replies. I believe the plan is to support the RMC with spaced concrete foundations, with the conduit firmly attached to each block, to keep it elevated and I would assume cut back any vegetation growth.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
Seems to me it would be no different than a primary riser on a pole going to a padmount transformer. The conduit is exposed and supported until it hits the dirt. I know as a POCO, we are exempt from much of the code, but I assume the safety rules are similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.