Balcony Railing - 250.4(A)(4) Inspector asking for bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Ask the inspector for a UL approved lug or clamp approved for a outdoor metal balcony.
Installed without structural damage to the balcony, this must be approved by the building inspector also.
Welcome to the forum.

Why should you ask the inspector for this? Shouldn't he be asking you for it - if it is an issue?

It really isn't any different than bonding any other metal structural member. Since it is outdoors, corrosion protection maybe becomes a bigger issue but doesn't make it impossible to do either.

handy10

Is the balcony a hazard?

Is the balcony a hazard?

Several people have said that even if the rail is energized, it would make no difference because there is no connection to ground. What if someone was using a three wire power tool on the balcony and grabbed both the rail and tool at the same time? BTW, I agree that the rail is unlikely to be energized.

kwired

Electron manager
Several people have said that even if the rail is energized, it would make no difference because there is no connection to ground. What if someone was using a three wire power tool on the balcony and grabbed both the rail and tool at the same time? BTW, I agree that the rail is unlikely to be energized.
Nothing happens in your scenario because the railing isn't grounded. Just like a bird sitting on a bare overhead wire. You have to come into contact with two different potential points to get shocked. The ungrounded railing can become energized (by any voltage amount) and is still safe to touch as long as you can not reach anything that is at different potential.

Balcony Bond

Balcony Bond

I once had a inspector comment a chandelier in a stairwell was a hazard because someone could reach out grab it and swing across the foyer like In the movies. Sometimes we over think things!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I once had a inspector comment a chandelier in a stairwell was a hazard because someone could reach out grab it and swing across the foyer like In the movies. Sometimes we over think things!

As long as the chandelier and suspension system are man-rated I don't see the problem. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.