arc fault circuit required??

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBruce

We have an assisted living project that has independent living (basically apartments) will be wire per 2011 code. The assisted living and memory care units do not have provisions for cooking in the units, so in my opinion not a dwelling unit? The engineer contends that "the intent of the code is to provide an enhanced level of protection to people where they live". He said arc fault circuits should not be eliminated over a "technical argument", I just consider him wrong, and they are not required. I'm curious what other opinions might be.

iwire

Staff member
Not required, but within the design judgement of the engineer to specify them anyway. They just have to be paid for as a contract option.

Well that is the key issue, where they called for on the drawings and specs during the bidding process or was the engineer just assuming that ECs would provide them when not required?

If they were not specified in the bidding documents someone needs to pay the EC for the extra costs.

On the other hand if there were on the bidding documents the EC needs to provide them regardless of code and regardless if he included then in his pricing.

kwired

Electron manager
If they are not specified and the EC installs them anyway, owner or designer could demand it needs changed because it wasn't in the design, and wouldn't care how much it cost the EC.

Status
Not open for further replies.