Fiberglass extension ladder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt123

Im looking to purchase a fiberglass ladder and wanted some input. Brands? Lengths? Do you guys feel 24' would be fine for most residential services or would 28 be better? Thanks.

kwired

Electron manager
Im looking to purchase a fiberglass ladder and wanted some input. Brands? Lengths? Do you guys feel 24' would be fine for most residential services or would 28 be better? Thanks.

What have you been using?

Brand is not as important as selecting a good rating. I wouldn't go with anything rated less than 300 lbs.

kwired

Electron manager
If I was only going to have one I would go with a 24'. Tall enough for most things, easier to wield than a 28'.

I have a 20 and a 28. The 20 gets used most of the time. The 28 is too heavy to lug around if most of the length isn't going to be needed.

matt123

thanks for replies, used the old business one but now I need one of my own. I felt the 24' would be alright.

kwired

Electron manager
thanks for replies, used the old business one but now I need one of my own. I felt the 24' would be alright.

How long was the old business one, and how well did it work out on average??

My point here is experience should tell you what length would work best for you,

PetrosA

I bought a 28' for my first ladder since it would cover the 24' range and almost up to the 32' range and that flexibility has paid off a number of times. A downside is that if you need it inside a house or other structure, it may be too long even when closed. That being said, I think a 24' is also an ideal length. I'm not the smallest guy, but a 32' is hard for me to maneuver by myself, so I don't plan on getting one anytime soon. I could see getting a 16' or 20' at some point for situations where a 24' or 28' is too large.

As far as brands - I have a Louisville which tend to run a little cheaper than Werner. Some Werner models are nice in that they have the rungs covered (inside the rails) and don't whistle as you're driving. I solved that by spraying foam into the rungs and shaving it flat after it hardened. Those Werners are considerably more expensive and heavier than other ladders.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
No matter what you get you will no doubt find some situation you end up in where it is not ideal or just won't work.

The longer the ladder is the harder it is to maneuver. Not a big deal outside, but inside it can be a real problem.

iwire

Staff member
I just changed from a 24 to a 28 but I work in big box stores all the time and the 24 was just a bit short to safely reach things up on the trusses.

growler

Either a 24' or 28' is a good size to keep on the van but I prefer a 24" for everyday use. If I have to go any higher than that there is going to be an extra charge anyway.

I don't think it's practical too haul around a very big ladder all the time. If you know you are going to be dealing with flood lights you can ask about height before going on the call.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Sooner or later you will have 5 or 6 ladders, as no one size is best.

I weigh over 200# but use a 200# rated lightweight 16 foot ladder for short stuff, taller you do need 300# or higher rating just for stability.

Too big is a bad as too small. Have inadvertently broken windows moving a too tall ladder into position - not too bad if on your own house, pretty pricey mistake if on a customer house.

My grandfather died from a ladder fall, so I am very careful with ladders.

You can find some good deals on good sturdy ladders on CL and other classified venues. Unless you work a lot of live circuits, you do not need all sizes to be fiberglass.

gk351

I have a 16' and 24' Extension. I had a 24' Werner that my dad gave me, but an employee lost it going down the road. I HATED that ladder....weighed about as much as I did. I only buy Louisville ladders. Both of 300Lb "Orange" Extension ladders I could probably hold up above my head with one arm, and Im no buff guy either. 4 years into my business I own a 4' , (2) 6', 8' 10' step ladders, a 12' single ladder (like 1/2 of an extension ladder-love that thing) plus the 16' and 24' Ext ladders. All orange, and all Louisville. Not to mention the 34' Bucket Truck :)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I hate aluminum ladders and lucky for me the two companies I have worked at since 1997 do not allow them for anything.
Why? They are lighter and age well.

We have a 28' fibreglass ladder and I hate it. It is so heavy it wears me out just setting it up; and after using it I go home with road rash up and down my arms from the stray fibres that find their way into my skin. The corresponding aluminium ladder doesn't.

iwire

Staff member
The top four reasons I hate aluminum ladders.

1) Conductive

2) OSHA issue in many cases*

3) Flimsey

4) The ladder of choice for drunken painters. I don't want to be mistaken for one.

And seriously if your fiberglass ladder is giving splinters you should toss it out or see if it is a canadate for refinishing.

1926.951(c)(1)

Portable metal or conductive ladders shall not be used near energized lines or equipment except as may be necessary in specialized work such as in high voltage substations where nonconductive ladders might present a greater hazard than conductive ladders. Conductive or metal ladders shall be prominently marked as conductive and all necessary precautions shall be taken when used in specialized work.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
The following from here http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/89-110/

Case Reports

As part of the Fatal Accident Circumstances and Epidemiology (FACE) Program, NIOSH investigated five incidents (resulting in six electrocutions) that occurred between 1985 and 1987 and that involved contact between portable aluminum ladders and overhead power lines.

Case No. 1--One Fatality

On May 4, 1985, a 28-year-old male worker removed the bottom of a poster on a 12-by-24-foot (-ft) billboard that was scheduled for reposting. He then removed a 24-ft aluminum hook ladder from the service truck. While the worker was positioning the ladder to reach the top section of the billboard, the ladder contacted a 7,200-volt (-V) overhead power line that was located 8 ft from the top of the billboard, and he was electrocuted [NIOSH 1985a].

Case No. 2--One Fatality

On July 21, 1986, a 27-year-old male painter was standing on a fully extended 24-ft aluminum ladder while painting a rain gutter on an apartment building. After painting a section of the gutter, the worker descended the ladder to move it to a new location. As he was repositioning the ladder, it contacted a 7,200-V overhead power line that was located 8 ft from the gutter, and he was electrocuted [NIOSH 1987d].

Case No. 3--Two Fatalities

On November 17, 1986, two male painters (20 and 21 years old) were using a 36-ft aluminum extension ladder to paint a 20-ft-high metal light pole. One worker was standing on the ladder painting, and his coworker was on the ground holding the ladder. The ladder slipped away from the pole and contacted a 12,460-V overhead power line that was located within 2 ft of the pole. Both painters were electrocuted [NIOSH 1987c].

Case No. 4--One Fatality

On September 1, 1987, a 28-year-old male painter and a coworker were using an aluminum extension ladder while cleaning the outside brick wall of a three-story convalescent home before painting. After cleaning one section, the workers moved the ladder to another location. The painter held the base of the ladder as the coworker simultaneously climbed and raised the extension of the 40-ft ladder. When the ladder was extended to approximately 34-ft, it tipped backward, contacting a 7,200-V overhead power line that was located 15 ft from the structure. The coworker on the ladder received an electrical shock and fell to the ground. The painter holding the ladder provided a path to the ground for the electrical current and was electrocuted [NIOSH 1987b].

Case No. 5--One Fatality

On September 24, 1987, an 18-year-old male construction worker and two coworkers were looking for an area on an office building roof to store shingles. The 18-year-old and a coworker were holding a fully extended, 32-ft aluminum ladder as the other coworker descended it. The ladder tipped backward, contacting a 7,200-V overhead power line that was located 6 ft from the building, electrocuting the 18-year-old holding the ladder, and shocking the other two coworkers [NIOSH 1987a].

Status
Not open for further replies.