Bonding CSST Gas Manifold ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Sisson

Ok, I ran into one the other day doing a Pre-drywall inspection for a client. (I'm a home inspector)
The MANIFOLD in the middle of the house wasn't bonded to anything. The plumber said that the Meter was bonded so he didn't need to bond the Manifold.

There was CSST from the Meter to the Manifold, and then lots of smaller CSST pipes to the individual appliances.

Am I right that the Manifold in the Middle of the house should be bonded to the Panels along with a bond to the Meter.

(Is more better?)

Bob Sisson, ACI

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Bob you only need to bond the csst at the point of entrance to the building on the load side of the meter. Sounds like the ec is correct

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Should it be done differently on a propane system, no meter?
Jim Kasterko, ACI

The type of gas or having a meter or not is not relevant. The gas code requires bonding of CSST. The gas company does not want their underground pipes used as an electrode but I don't see an issue with propane lines feeding a single home

Riograndeelectric

Bob you only need to bond the csst at the point of entrance to the building on the load side of the meter. Sounds like the ec is correct

Is this true for any connection of CSST?

what if the house is solid pipe and some one adds a run of CSST do you then bond the load side of the meter.
I thought you were supposed to bond the CSST fitting at the connection point to the gas line ?

This is what I read on most all of the CSST manufactures web site the last time I ran into CSST that was an extension of the black pipe inside the house

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

what if the house is solid pipe and some one adds a run of CSST do you then bond the load side of the meter.
I thought you were supposed to bond the CSST fitting at the connection point to the gas line ?

This is what I read on most all of the CSST manufactures web site the last time I ran into CSST that was an extension of the black pipe inside the house

I am quite certain that the gas code only requires connection where the gas pipe enters the building. What we do is bond the solid black iron pipe at the load side of the meter and that will cover any CSST connected to the black iron downstream.

Be careful because not all ground clamps are listed for the black iron-- I forgot the UL number it must have to be compliant.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is the code

SECTION G2411 (310)
ELECTRICAL BONDING
G2411.1 (310.1) Pipe and tubing other than CSST. Each
above-ground portion of a gas piping system other than corrugated
stainless steel tubing (CSST), that is likely to becomeenergized
shall be electrically continuous and bonded to an effective
ground-fault current path. Gas piping, other than CSST, shall be
considered to be bondedwhere it is connected to appliances that
are connected to the equipment grounding conductor of the circuit
supplying that appliance.
G2411.1.1 (310.1.1) CSST. Corrugated stainless steel tubing
(CSST) gas piping systems shall be bonded to the electrical
service grounding electrode system at the point where
the gas service enters the building. The bonding jumper
shall be not smaller than 6AWGcopper wire or equivalent.

RICK NAPIER

There is a change in the 2012 codes from the 2009. The change allows you to hit the gas pipe anywhere before it attaches to CSST.

G2411.1.1 (310.1.1) CSST.
Corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) gas piping systems shall be bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system. The bonding jumper shall connect to a metallic pipe or fitting between the point of delivery and the first downstream CSST fitting. The bonding jumper shall be not smaller than 6 AWG copper wire or equivalent. Gas piping systems that contain one or more segments of CSST shall be bonded in accordance with this section.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer

It can be done that way, the requirement is between the load side of the meter and upstream from the first CSST fitting.

The installation guide is part of the product listing and specific requirements are in section 4.10 for bonding.

Bonding clamps listed UL 467

GasTite requires bonding clamps for the CSST hex nut to be Erico CWP"1" "2" or "3"JSH depending on pipe size

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
There is a change in the 2012 codes from the 2009. The change allows you to hit the gas pipe anywhere before it attaches to CSST.

G2411.1.1 (310.1.1) CSST.
Corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) gas piping systems shall be bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system. The bonding jumper shall connect to a metallic pipe or fitting between the point of delivery and the first downstream CSST fitting. The bonding jumper shall be not smaller than 6 AWG copper wire or equivalent. Gas piping systems that contain one or more segments of CSST shall be bonded in accordance with this section.

This almost the same verbiage as the manufacturer's installation requirements that is part of the CSST listed system.

Status
Not open for further replies.