Any Exception with Led Track Lighting in Commercial Load Calculation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello,

I am trying to design a 200-amp 3-phase 120-208-volt service for a 4,100 sq' retail existing space. Is there anyway that I can get around the high load calculation for track lighting by using LED?

Thanks,

Volta

None that I know of in the NEC.

Current limiter track feeds exist, however, to be often used with the DOE's energy code. Perhaps your plan reviewer would accept such to limit load.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
None that I know of in the NEC.

Current limiter track feeds exist, however, to be often used with the DOE's energy code. Perhaps your plan reviewer would accept such to limit load.
If the installation is under the 2011 code, a new exception to 220.43(B) permits the load calculation to be based on the rating of the current limiter.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It's my position that a circuit breaker is a current limiter, so how many LED's can you get on a 2400 Watt circuit? (20 amp, 120V CB)
So you are saying that we can put an unlimited amount of track on a 20 amp circuit and calculate it at 2400 VA? Makes sense to me, but I don't think that is what CMP 2 had in mind.

Volta

If the installation is under the 2011 code, a new exception to 220.43(B) permits the load calculation to be based on the rating of the current limiter.
I see, nice!

It's my position that a circuit breaker is a current limiter, so how many LED's can you get on a 2400 Watt circuit? (20 amp, 120V CB)
I wouldn't disagree, that is all the limiters are, though generally smaller than 2400 watts.

So you are saying that we can put an unlimited amount of track on a 20 amp circuit and calculate it at 2400 VA? Makes sense to me, but I don't think that is what CMP 2 had in mind.

Close to what we can already do for branch circuit calcs. As written, I would have to say that the 20 amp OCP device is a current limiter.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Is there anyway that I can get around the high load calculation for track lighting by using LED?
It might be worth a call to the Building Department. I haven't found an NEC section to support it, but I have seen at least one Building Department allow the use of the low voltage power supply for the load calculation, instead of using the track length. Obviously wouldn't work for line voltage LED track heads with integral power supplies, but it might be worth a shot if you're using a low voltage track fed by a single power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.