Feeder CB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am feeding a mini power center via 22.5 KVA 408-208/120 V transformer. The transformer manufacturer is providing both primary and secondary over current protection but I also want to include a feeder protection. How should I size this feeder protection CB.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am feeding a mini power center via 22.5 KVA 408-208/120 V transformer. The transformer manufacturer is providing both primary and secondary over current protection but I also want to include a feeder protection. How should I size this feeder protection CB.

It is a feeder. Size it according the the standard feeder calcs.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You need to supply the transformer via an OCPD that will not trip on transformer inrush and size the feeder conductors to the OCPD. What size is the primary OCPD that is supplied with the unit?

I think a 40 amp OCPD and #8 would work.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
You need to supply the transformer via an OCPD that will not trip on transformer inrush and size the feeder conductors to the OCPD. What size is the primary OCPD that is supplied with the unit?

I think a 40 amp OCPD and #8 would work.

I might be inclined to use a larger OCPD and wire size to limit any chance of tripping.

22.5 kva @ 480 3phase is about 27 A. 250% of that is 68A. I don't think there is any limit to the feeder breaker as the transformer is already protected.

Last edited:

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
why would article 450 apply to the feeder circuit?

that would apply out at the power center, but not the feeder to it.

Because if you don't understand why the transformer protection is sized they way it is, how are you going to size the upstream feeder?

Besides, you can size it to allow full load, or you can size it to limit output.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Because if you don't understand why the transformer protection is sized they way it is, how are you going to size the upstream feeder?

Besides, you can size it to allow full load, or you can size it to limit output.

or you can make it as big as you want since the power center already has appropriate sized protection built in for the transformer.

I just do not see there is any maximum size feeder for this. there may be some practical considerations, but I do not see that there is a code enforced maximum size breaker (assuming the feeder wires are protected).

Status
Not open for further replies.