200 amp single phase service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am doing a project and need a temporary service. The service is 200 amp single phase. I used 4/0 AL and got turned down. I have used the same temp in other states and areas of Florida. Is there a code section around this.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I am doing a project and need a temporary service. The service is 200 amp single phase. I used 4/0 AL and got turned down. I have used the same temp in other states and areas of Florida. Is there a code section around this.

Yes, 4/0 AL is only allowed for a 400 amp service if it is a residential service that is in compliance with 310.15(B)(7). That said, it seems kind of petty to not allow this for a temp service even though it is not compliant. Maybe the inspector is trying to make a point that 310.15(B)(7) can only be used in a very specific situation.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Yes, 4/0 AL is only allowed for a 400 amp service if it is a residential service that is in compliance with 310.15(B)(7). That said, it seems kind of petty to not allow this for a temp service even though it is not compliant. Maybe the inspector is trying to make a point that 310.15(B)(7) can only be used in a very specific situation.

Correction. Obviously I meant 200 amp.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
#4/0 Al @ 75? C is 180 amps, next standard size 200 amps. Is the load greater than 180 amps?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

A temp pole would be hard to figure the calculated load however I think the inspector is being a bit too cautious here. As others have said 180 amps and 240.4(B) will let you use the next size breaker.

Is this pole for a residence?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would guess that the inspector is thinking that he's really smart because he caught you using T310.15(B)(7) when you cannot use it. In reality if the load is 180 amps or less he's incorrect.

iwire

Staff member
I would guess that the inspector is thinking that he's really smart because he caught you using T310.15(B)(7) when you cannot use it. In reality if the load is 180 amps or less he's incorrect.

Do you think the OP can provide a calculated load for a temp service panel? :)

IMO because of that the inspector is technically correct to require full size conductors.

That said ... it seems a bit ridiculous to be failed for it.

mwm1752

#4/0 Al @ 75? C is 180 amps, next standard size 200 amps. Is the load greater than 180 amps?

Fusing would be correct -- most loads in a temp would probable be considered non continuous -- thats alot of juice for even a large residential project -- buy the guy donuts & coffee

Unless I am mistaken, the Inspector SHALL provide the code reference that he is finding you in violation of....

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Do you think the OP can provide a calculated load for a temp service panel? :)

IMO because of that the inspector is technically correct to require full size conductors.

That said ... it seems a bit ridiculous to be failed for it.

IMO a competent inspector wouldn't need one.

Status
Not open for further replies.