Question on out building

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWH

I have a situation where a customer purchased a new air compressor and it is now going to be installed outside in basically what is a smaller metal shipping container. I am not sure on how to ground the container. I have 3 separate disconnects for equipment, can I bring my grounds together at a common point than hit the metal siding than onto a ground rod.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
What is feeding the building - a single branch circuit, or a feeder to a panel?

What is your goal for "grounding the container"? Is it to bond it for safety (e.g. it is likely to become energized), or because you need to "ground" a separate structure?

kwired

Electron manager
What is feeding this?

Don't your three disconnects come together at some point?

If not and this is a building or structure supplied by another you probably have a violation of 225.30, only one feeder is permitted to supply this, unless there is different voltage, phases, or other similar differences in each feeder, or limited other special conditions. If supplied by a service - then what you are proposing is pretty much what most would likely do, make taps from each service disconnect to a common grounding electrode conductor, or run GEC to a common point ahead of the separate disconnects.

KWH

I did violate 225.30, the air compressor ended up having 2 compressors on 1 unit requiring 2 separate circuits. I would assume the container would have to be classified as a structure even with it just sitting basically in the parking lot next to the main building. I will have to install a panel, do not see any exceptions to get around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.