Swimming pool deck and LED lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkycoog

Recently, I came across a couple of questions regarding swimming pools that have had me a bit puzzled and even with the benefit of the internet and a searchable NEC codebook, I'm still not sure.

The first one is what if anything should be done, if there is a patch of grass around a concrete pool deck. 680.26 (B)(2) on Equipotential Bonding states that
Perimeter Surfaces. The perimeter surface shall ex-tend for 1 m (3 ft) horizontally beyond the inside walls of
the pool and shall include unpaved surfaces, as well as
poured concrete surfaces and other types of paving.Bonding to perimeter surfaces shall be
provided as specified in 680.26(B)(2)(a) or (2)(b) and shall
be attached to the pool reinforcing steel or copper conduc-
tor grid at a minimum of four (4) points uniformly spaced
around the perimeter of the pool.

My feeling is that if there happens to be a grassy area within the 3 feet of the swimming pool light, there should be a conductor buried under it, but since steel will rust, should the grassy portion of the pool deck have bare solid 8 AWG under it per the "alternative means" section? I would guess that the ground clamps where the conductor meets with the rest of the swimming pool deck's re-bars will be encased in concrete too.

Also, is there anything specific about LED pool lights that is not covered in 680.23 A and B?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Recently, I came across a couple of questions regarding swimming pools that have had me a bit puzzled and even with the benefit of the internet and a searchable NEC codebook, I'm still not sure.

The first one is what if anything should be done, if there is a patch of grass around a concrete pool deck. 680.26 (B)(2) on Equipotential Bonding states that
Perimeter Surfaces. The perimeter surface shall ex-tend for 1 m (3 ft) horizontally beyond the inside walls of
the pool and shall include unpaved surfaces, as well as
poured concrete surfaces and other types of paving.Bonding to perimeter surfaces shall be
provided as specified in 680.26(B)(2)(a) or (2)(b) and shall
be attached to the pool reinforcing steel or copper conduc-
tor grid at a minimum of four (4) points uniformly spaced
around the perimeter of the pool.

My feeling is that if there happens to be a grassy area within the 3 feet of the swimming pool light, there should be a conductor buried under it, but since steel will rust, should the grassy portion of the pool deck have bare solid 8 AWG under it per the "alternative means" section? I would guess that the ground clamps where the conductor meets with the rest of the swimming pool deck's re-bars will be encased in concrete too.

Also, is there anything specific about LED pool lights that is not covered in 680.23 A and B?

Not sure if you are asking a specific question in your first paragraph.

As to the LED lights, it depends on the type of light the LEDs are. ie; wet niche, dry niche, through-wall, etc.

sparkycoog

The first part, the question is what if anything needs to be done as far as bonding if there is a patch of grass near the pool.

The second part is a wet niche fixture.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
the grassy area needs a #8 bare, solid conductor running under it and bonded to the grid/pool steel .

Last edited:

jusme123

Occupation
JW
wet niche fixture; don't forget the potting compound for the ground connection [680.23(8)(B)(2) last sentence], inspectors will definetly look for it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
All areas around the pool within 3' must have the equipotential bonding installed. There is nothing specific about LED's that I am aware of.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
All areas around the pool within 3' must have the equipotential bonding installed. There is nothing specific about LED's that I am aware of.

The only differences may arise from the fact that some LED fixtures are supplied by low voltage, power limited sources, possibly making the rules for wet-niche, etc. different? But not the separate equipotential grid requirement.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The only differences may arise from the fact that some LED fixtures are supplied by low voltage, power limited sources, possibly making the rules for wet-niche, etc. different? But not the separate equipotential grid requirement.

I'm not saying they don't make them, but I have never seen a wet niche light that was LED.
I have installed LED pool lights and they were listed as "through the wall" and some cases dry niche.
And yes, they fall under the low voltage requirements.

sparkycoog

I'm not saying they don't make them, but I have never seen a wet niche light that was LED.
I have installed LED pool lights and they were listed as "through the wall" and some cases dry niche.
And yes, they fall under the low voltage requirements.

I think they are starting to make them since a lot of people prefer not to have 500 watt bulbs to change, but the reason I brought it up was that I saw this in a test question. I don't remember all of the possible choices (I think one was that it had to be in a metal shell) but from my research so far says that there is nothing specific about LED pool lights in the NEC other than it being a low voltage luminary.

Status
Not open for further replies.