Door Buzzer Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If you mount a multi-tap door bell/buzzer transformer above a dropped ceiling, do you need a disconnect?

Have a customer that just wants me to mount a 4" sq box, run power to the box, and then nipple out to the transformer. He is going to run the bell wiring later. He is just using the 6V tap on the transformer, but I thought just a snap switch mounted on the box would allow him to kill the power when he connects the bell to the transformer.

I didn't know if the switch/disconnect was required, but thought it would be a good idea.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If you mount a multi-tap door bell/buzzer transformer above a dropped ceiling, do you need a disconnect?

Have a customer that just wants me to mount a 4" sq box, run power to the box, and then nipple out to the transformer. He is going to run the bell wiring later. He is just using the 6V tap on the transformer, but I thought just a snap switch mounted on the box would allow him to kill the power when he connects the bell to the transformer.

I didn't know if the switch/disconnect was required, but thought it would be a good idea.
I believe it depends on the size / rating of the transformer. I think (going strictly from memory and this iPad has no NEC on it) that you are OK as long as it is a "Class 2" transformer, which means it is limited to 100W. Think "wall wart" transformers, most of them are Class 2, no switch or disconnect necessary.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I believe it depends on the size / rating of the transformer. I think (going strictly from memory and this iPad has no NEC on it) that you are OK as long as it is a "Class 2" transformer, which means it is limited to 100W. Think "wall wart" transformers, most of them are Class 2, no switch or disconnect necessary.

Thanks!

But wait...a wall wart has a built in disconnect.....just pull!:D

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer

Not required but a good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.