red beacon

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV ELECTRIC

has anyone signed up for this service with home depot

its a referral service and appears once you get a job it will cost $ 29.00 a month even if you dont get another job i presume .

i have signed up get a request for a price on occasion. request for bids are text to your phone and you must go to your email to see the request , usually vague and most times you need to request more info . don't really talk to anyone except through typing. i guess i could give a number to customer to call me but there is no number for me to call and it doesn't seem to be what its about.

is this the future i guess service magic started this now you got Angie's list home adviser and the list goes on

i just ordered a new roof from home depot. they put it out for bid. i guess through red beacon. had a bid in minutes which was a good price . i don't think this can work well for installs , materials bids possibly but not talking to a real person can lead to mistakes to confirm. we will see how the roof goes when i receive the material . there are many things i can give a price over the phone with enough info from the customer without a guarantee until i can confirm at the job

any thoughts would be helpful

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

its a referral service and appears once you get a job it will cost $ 29.00 a month even if you dont get another job i presume .

i have signed up get a request for a price on occasion. request for bids are text to your phone and you must go to your email to see the request , usually vague and most times you need to request more info . don't really talk to anyone except through typing. i guess i could give a number to customer to call me but there is no number for me to call and it doesn't seem to be what its about.

is this the future i guess service magic started this now you got Angie's list home adviser and the list goes on

i just ordered a new roof from home depot. they put it out for bid. i guess through red beacon. had a bid in minutes which was a good price . i don't think this can work well for installs , materials bids possibly but not talking to a real person can lead to mistakes to confirm. we will see how the roof goes when i receive the material . there are many things i can give a price over the phone with enough info from the customer without a guarantee until i can confirm at the job

any thoughts would be helpful

Your Electrical Panel Upgrade project should cost between $350 and $1501.

that is what the estimator said my service upgrade would cost. either that's
a lowball to get you into the system, or a complete garbage install.

i wouldn't do a service change for that amount,
and i sure wouldn't want someone doing mine for
that amount.

sounds like they took equal parts craigslist and twitter, and stirred them up.

as for angies list, they went from providing crowd sourced referrals, to being a pimp.

AV ELECTRIC

hope this isnt the future but trends are pointing to this . the customer can fish for prices with multiple bids and not have to talk to anyone

just another way to drive prices lower in the industry. at least on the residential side .

ceknight

I'd probably fold up shop and go flip burgers before I started actively courting Home Depot shoppers for my client base.

Just sayin'.

Daja7

I'd probably fold up shop and go flip burgers before I started actively courting Home Depot shoppers for my client base.

Just sayin'.

Home depot folks are looking for as cheap as possible. (generally)
Home adviser (formerly Service magic can be a bit frustrating but is my cheapest source of customer aquisitions. I close about 70% and my prices are not cheap. I will not subscribe to any referal source that will not provide the phone and address of the requestor.

Fulthrotl

and the contractor is the hooker

my first night of my first year of apprentice school, my instructor
summed up everything that was to follow:

"never forget that all of you are whores. you are applying skills
and experience, trading hours for dollars. the rest of your working
life will be about negotiating price. you might as well learn how
to do that now."

and then school started.

kwired

Electron manager
my first night of my first year of apprentice school, my instructor
summed up everything that was to follow:

"never forget that all of you are whores. you are applying skills
and experience, trading hours for dollars. the rest of your working
life will be about negotiating price. you might as well learn how
to do that now."

and then school started.

True, but you don't have to work under a pimp, as they pretty much do the negotiating for you and you get what they decide:happyyes:

Fulthrotl

True, but you don't have to work under a pimp, as they pretty much do the negotiating for you and you get what they decide:happyyes:

true. now my negotiating is done by every undercutting trunk slamming
underqualified, underfunded desperate person who will do a service
change for $200 over materials, networked thru home desperate, providing
the pandering services, which they will do for a few dollars more.

"Your Electrical Panel Upgrade project should cost between $350 and $1501."
isn't that marvelous?

well, all of us are in this boat, if you are a small contractor. i'm just greatful
that i've not done much residential work other than service changes in the
last year or so. hopefully that trend continues.

liberation is wonderful! :happyyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.