8' rule for Service disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.

WIMaster

take a look at SPS316.230(3) your State code if that helps

BIG +1
Wisconsin state code, used to be comm16, I believe the sps above is the newly adopted version as of June of 2013.
I thought it was 9', but need to re-visit it myself.
If you need extra distance keep it outside the structure as much as possible, which includes "under at least 2" of concrete".

Ohms law

What do people do when you have beach houses on stilts? In the south aren't most the houses by the coast on stilts? Some of the beach houses are a good 20' feet up. Would a meter main suffice?

hurk27

I agree with you 100%, but that also makes me wonder why a simple switched disconnect that does not include OCPD seems to be commonly accepted as limiting the risk!
That would seem to argue that there is a sense of a greater risk in the SEC wiring types, independent of overcurrent protection (possibly because of the Code provision allowing "undersized" Service Entrance Conductors in some cases.)

A disconnect without over current protection either part of or immediately
adjacent to it will not meet the requirements of 230.91 for a proper service disconnect, who ever has allowed this needs to read the code before they get someone killed.

This is not to be confused with a meter disconnect (cold sequenced meter) that should have a service rated disconnect with OCPDs either before of as close as possible of the entrance of the SEC's

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
10' was what my first boss did when building services and I stayed with that. 4000 Amp services got cabinets right at service entrance points. You are the eagle and I am the fish if I am mistaken.
How about POCOs? Do they have any word on that?

Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering for the reason that I mentioned. I would guess that large services are first approved by the advisory board and they're judged on the specifics of each individual installation.

WIMaster

What do people do when you have beach houses on stilts? In the south aren't most the houses by the coast on stilts? Some of the beach houses are a good 20' feet up. Would a meter main suffice?

If that type of structure were here in WI it would not be an issue till it "entered the structure" so the 20' stilts would be outside of the structure.
Hence my comments about keeping it outside of the structure by any means possible including under 2" of concrete.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If that type of structure were here in WI it would not be an issue till it "entered the structure" so the 20' stilts would be outside of the structure.
Hence my comments about keeping it outside of the structure by any means possible including under 2" of concrete.

Some AHJs feel that the provision that anything within the footprint of the the holding is deemed inside the building (except when buried in earth or concrete) applies to buildings on stilts too.

Cavie

Round Florida 5' is the unwrittin' rule. It is the distance required to penetrate a slab and get to the top of the panel. They also allow that horizontal thru a stud wall.

kwired

Electron manager
falls under tap rules

What tap rules? We are talking about service conductors here.

Some AHJs feel that the provision that anything within the footprint of the the holding is deemed inside the building (except when buried in earth or concrete) applies to buildings on stilts too.

So if a service drop attaches outdoors but within the "building footprint", is it and the rest of the service conductors inside or outside?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
What tap rules? We are talking about service conductors here.

So if a service drop attaches outdoors but within the "building footprint", is it and the rest of the service conductors inside or outside?

If it is under the building (not just under the eaves or roof overhang) then it is inside the building unless covered in dirt (18") or concrete (2").

There is a distinction between under the floor area, as in a crawl space or arguably under a stilt house within the area determined by the downward projection of the lower story walls, versus under the roof overhang but outside the walls. My use of "footprint" was probably ill chosen.

Within the area determined by the walls, but above the roof is not restricted in any way, except for clearances from windows, etc.

kwired

Electron manager
If it is under the building (not just under the eaves or roof overhang) then it is inside the building unless covered in dirt (18") or concrete (2").

There is a distinction between under the floor area, as in a crawl space or arguably under a stilt house within the area determined by the downward projection of the lower story walls, versus under the roof overhang but outside the walls. My use of "footprint" was probably ill chosen.

Within the area determined by the walls, but above the roof is not restricted in any way, except for clearances from windows, etc.

I brought that up because I don't see that much difference between any dangers of a service conductor that is above the structure as compared to under a structure that has open space below like a building on stilts.

Another similar install may be a service lateral that emerges from grade under a porch, is that inside or outside?

IMO NEC does not make it clear either way, most AHJ's will probably say it is outside, but there may be some that say it is inside.

As far as that goes I have also seen many through the roof masts from an overhead supply that also end up at a location under the roof of a porch, carport or other similar installs.

Status
Not open for further replies.