GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
can a GFCi recptacle be used in a circuit that has GFCI breaker?
Yes.
And just to add some information to that:
1. Since there is no coordination and the trip point ranges overlap, a real ground fault through the receptacle may trip either one or both.
2. The test button on the receptacle will not trip the breaker and the test button on the breaker will not trip the receptacle (although it will, of course, de-energize it.
3. A plug in GFCI tester at the receptacle, like a real ground fault, could trip either the receptacle or the breaker.
4. If the breaker trips, you will not be able to reset the receptacle until you have reset the breaker.

5. Why? A more common thing to see would be a GFCI receptacle with an AFCI breaker for an area that requires both. In that case the GF trip range of the AFCI breaker (if it includes GF protection) is higher than the trip point of the receptacle.

can a GFCi recptacle be used in a circuit that has GFCI breaker?

I have been tasked with installing the recptacles in a clean room and to leave the gfci brkr. My concern is of nuisance trips. The reason we are changing the outlets is for the operators in the clean to be able to reset, because the brkr panel is in a hard to access area.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I have been tasked with installing the recptacles in a clean room and to leave the gfci brkr. My concern is of nuisance trips. The reason we are changing the outlets is for the operators in the clean to be able to reset, because the brkr panel is in a hard to access area.
Since the trip point for neither breaker nor receptacle is adjustable, I fear that if you leave the breaker in place some of the nuisance trips will still be at the breaker. It is definitely not a situation where the closest GFCI trips first. :(

templdl

I have 3 of them in series, a breaker that feeds a a single GFCI outlet on the from of my house that also serves a small storage building in my back yard feeding a GFCI outlet inside the struction which then feeds the lighting and an additional GFCI outlet located one the outside of the stucture at the opposite end.
The GFCI breaker feeds (2) GFCIs with one of the GFCIs feeding a second one. You may call that belts and suspenders but I've installed the over 10 years ago with out any issues. If there was an event at the end of the circuit though any on of them cold trip. But big deal.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
If there was an event at the end of the circuit though any on of them cold trip. But big deal.
Not a big deal for you, and definitely not a big deal for safety, which would be just fine.
But for the OP who needs the one closest to the load to be the one that trips, since it is more accessible for resetting, it becomes a big deal.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since the trip point for neither breaker nor receptacle is adjustable, I fear that if you leave the breaker in place some of the nuisance trips will still be at the breaker. It is definitely not a situation where the closest GFCI trips first. :(

What do you mean by nuisance trips? Are you saying that the two devices on the same circuit will cause one to trip when there really isn't a ground fault incident or that it may be a nuisance to go and reset the CB?

Status
Not open for further replies.