What's the limiting factor in upsize the bus bars for PV backfeed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVJon

In order to accommodate larger PV backfeeds, we have done several installs with CH's "solar read" 225 amp panel that comes fitted with a 200 amp breaker. This gives us 70 amps of PV breaker backfeed where we normally only have 40. So what is the limiting factor on this strategy? Can I take a 125 amp service... upsize it to a 200 amp panel... use a 125 amp main breaker and then get 115 amps (75+40) of PV breaker backfeed?

mpcarnahan

correct

correct

the only limiting factor is the 120% rating on the bus, and the location of the PV backfed breaker.
So yes, as along as the MB and PV breaker do not exceed 120% of the bus rating, your fine.
I've put in 800A panels with 600A MB for just that reason.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The other limit is the service rating, you can not exceed the 125A in this case.
The OP states that could he replace the 125 with a 200.
The only caveat is if the scenario is ok the AHJ and the POCO. I don't see the issue as even if the service conductors are not up sized the back feed is still less than the service rating. This formula and code is a panel buss rating not a service entrance size limitation.
What I wonder is if some idiot would place a larger breaker in the panel.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Another limitation, which may be obvious, is that the PV breaker can't be bigger than the main. While not a code violation per se, it simply won't work, because the main will trip if the PV produces at full output.

Status
Not open for further replies.