Module labels Removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpcarnahan

We're installing a PV Canopy for a client. Canopy is in front of the building; people walking underneath; highly visible.
And of course, client does not like the looks of the manuf. label being right there in the middle on every module.
Obviously the labels are staying on through the inspection, but what about afterwards?
Can the cliet have them removed? I know they 'should' keep then on for maintenance sake, but are they required to?
Is this like the mattress label? Is it illegal to remove?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
We're installing a PV Canopy for a client. Canopy is in front of the building; people walking underneath; highly visible.
And of course, client does not like the looks of the manuf. label being right there in the middle on every module.
Obviously the labels are staying on through the inspection, but what about afterwards?
Can the cliet have them removed? I know they 'should' keep then on for maintenance sake, but are they required to?
Is this like the mattress label? Is it illegal to remove?
IANAL, but I would hazard a guess that it is indeed like the mattress label - illegal for a seller to remove but OK for the end user.

BillK-AZ

Seems to me:
  1. There is some risk of shock and back skin damage in the removal.
  2. It will likely void the UL listing of the module. This may further impact items like insurance that essentially require Listed parts.
If I absolutely had to hide the labels, I would make some plain white polyester labels (onelinelabels.com) that were a little larger on three sides. Make a matching piece that exactly fits the label and place it sticky side towards the blank label such that the new label does not stick to the real label, allowing the real label to be read if required in the future.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Consider the marking requirements of Section 110.21. I obviously don't know the look and size of the current label, but something must be there to identify the manufacturer.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Consider the marking requirements of Section 110.21. I obviously don't know the look and size of the current label, but something must be there to identify the manufacturer.

To split hairs, that section requires that the labeling (not necessarily in the form of a label) be placed there and not that they remain there. However the last sentence does give us some insight into the intent. :)
The marking shall be of sufficient durability to withstand the environment involved.
So, if the person trying to remove them is part of the environment, you do have the answer. :happyyes:
And it does not seem to give explicit permission to move the marking to another part of the product.

mpcarnahan

And it does not seem to give explicit permission to move the marking to another part of the product.

That's not a bad idea. Solyndra had labels along its side, was not visible from underneath. Labels with identical info could be moved inside the alum frame, for anyone doing maintenace could find.

I dont see a shock hazard. I pealed one off just to test. They came off pretty easy. And no fingernail is going to penetrate the poly sheet backing of the module.

UL might be a concern, but I cant believe they thought of some idiot might wanna remove labels on purpose.

And 110.21 is part of the manuf job to "provide" a label that will withstand the environment. Doesnt say the end user cant remove 'em.

thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.